26-27 Equalizer Brake Set-Ups- how'd you do it?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 26-27 Equalizer Brake Set-Ups- how'd you do it?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Hey Fellers,
I just snagged an equalizer brake set up from Lang's catalog. It hasn't come yet but I wondered how guys have set it up to work best? It looks like it makes the brake pedal work both the trans and service brake shoes at the same time? Any little more safety could be a good thing. Just wonder if anyone has any images of how it gets rigged together?

Thanks in advance,
Jim Chochole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 07:02 pm:

I have an original set of AC brakes on my 1924 cut-off touring car (now a pickup). I bolted a yoke onto the bottom of the equalizer with a turnbuckle and pulley that pulls on a cable that goes to the AC brakes. It works fine:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/413737.html

Another gentleman used the equalizer and a pair of pull rods to actuate his AC brakes, here is a link to a video he created (great background music):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwVeIbRx7wE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

The instructions are pretty good. Didn't have any trouble installing it on my '27 speedster. You can set it up to actuate the rear brakes just prior to the tranny brake. Works quite well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 07:37 pm:

PS I don't have AC brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

Gary- thanks, that is what I need. I don't have Rockies nor AC brakes yet. I hope to test and see how well the stock brakes work on the rears with this add-on.

How did your equalizer hook up to the brake rods?

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 09:09 pm:

I put the Lang's brake equalizer set-up on my '26 Touring. You do have to play with it a little to make sure it is not overly tight on the brake cross shaft. Yes, mine are hooked directly to my brake rods. You have to be careful to get the adjustment right or it will set the brake down for you when you pull the lever back. Not good if you have brake lights.

Don't expect brilliant braking performance. It's better than the brake band, but not as good as Rockies or AC brakes. I initially used the original brake shoes and they were OK but not all that effective. Tried the woven brake linings the vendors sell too. Again, OK but not wonderful. The best luck I had was with the woven high friction stuff from McMaster-Carr, but it had to be sanded down to fit. My preference would still be to go to and external set of period brakes once the budget allows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 01:26 pm:

Jim - Please keep us informed as you install the equalizer. According to Lang's website, it's made for the 26-27 models, and isn't suggested to be used with earlier models due to the smaller brake drum size. I've been curious for awhile now how this would work with the small drums, and would love to hear your experience. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

I have the equalizer from Lang's on my 15 hooked up to the AC brakes and am quite happy with the setup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

Also, with the equalizer setup, the brake peddle actuates the external brakes and the E brake handle actuates both the external and internal E brake shoes. Both rear brakes have their respective rods hooked up so there are four rods going to the back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

Guys, I see we are discussing a brake equaliser from Langs. I have been thinking of using one on my T.

Now, the question I have is, will the standard setup work on my '27 Right Hand Drive tourer?

Cheers, Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

Paul, I just went out and crawled under my '26 touring to take a look. You might have to do a little welding and grinding on where the rod to the brake pedal goes. But other than that, you should be able to flip it 180 degrees and make it work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 09:01 pm:

Kevin,

Thanks for that. Info like that is so handy.

Cheers Paul.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 07:27 am:

Paul, I'm not that familiar with RHD cars, but as long the brake pedal is closest to the hogs head it should work. You'll have to fill in where the brake rod comes in and grind the new mounting concave. Or I suppose you could cut off the brake rod actuator shaft, flip it 180 degrees, re-weld and support. Should be fine that way. If you'd like some pics of my LHD drive set-up, just PM me and I'll go crawl around again. Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 02:26 pm:

If I get it mounted on my '27, I'll take some pics.

Thanks!
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 03:43 pm:

I had a brake equalizer set up on my 21 and it worked pretty good. I have some steep hills to negotiate, so I opted for Sure-Stop discs. I have the complete equalizer set up, and may be able to find the instructions to go with them. They are not hard to install. Anybody interested in them drop me a PM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

I failed to add, I also have a 27 brake petal with the actuator tab already welded on to go with the equalizer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

Doug - The equalizer worked well on your '21 with stock rear (small) brake drums? Just wanted to check, as that's what I'm considering for my '19 Speedster. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 06:17 pm:

No I have a 27 drive train in my 21 - failed to mention that. However I did find the instructions, and it states it will work well with pre 26 brakes with lined shoes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

When I installed the equalizer with rocky mountains on my 27 Tudor, I was getting too much flex in the emergency brake cross shaft. I ended up adding an additional cross shaft behind the main one minus the handle and clutch cam. By putting the equalizer on a separate cross shaft This makes the E-brake is totally independent. So if I really need to stop extra fast, I can lock up the E-Brakes manually.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

Doug,
Just got the parts from Lang's and forgot to ask- it looks like my brake pedal needs a tab welded to the bottom? I forgot about that part.

Looks like I have some welding to do.

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

James, it would be helpful to some of us if you could provide pictures of your install with modifications needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 09:09 am:

Chad- you got it! Once I begin the work I'll be sure to document everything.

Thanks,
Jim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration