OT: This Day in History, OR, Am I Crazy?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT: This Day in History, OR, Am I Crazy?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

Am I crazy? I believe 150 years ago today, Abraham Lincoln was shot, dying several hours later in the morning hours of the 15th?
I have not seen it mentioned ANYWHERE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

It was on Yahoo news today. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

And the Titanic struck the iceberg tonight in 1912.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

you are correct it was 150 years ago, this date. Also the Titanic will hit an iceberg at 11:40 pm ship's time this date, 103 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

It was on CBS This Morning

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

My grandfather was on the way. Born September 10, 1865. We think of 150 years as a long time, but consider this. I have known someone who lived when there were still people who were born before there was a United States of America. Grandma was born in 1873. Were there 100-year old people in 1873? Sure. And they were born before there was a USA. The whole history of our country since Independence fits into three reasonably long lives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

My great-grandmother, who died when I was 20 and whom I knew well, was born in 1866. I imagine, as Steve says, that she also knew people who were born before there was a United States (although she was in Canada and it didn't matter that much...) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

I too have similar links to the past. However, they weren't here in the USA pondering knowing people who pre-date the USA. They were in Italy pondering the new unification of Italy in 1861 and their next plate of pasta. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

When I was in college in the mid-'50s I knew a man whose earliest memory was of Lincoln's assassination.

I also like this comparison between Yanks and Brits: "A Yank thinks 100 years is a long time. A Brit thinks 100 miles is a long way."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

This is one of my favorite Lincoln cartoons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Mokelumne Hill, Calif. on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

I have a diary of an aunt from a few generations ago who writes of her dad voting for Lincoln.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 12:20 am:

yep, that and several other dates. I was watching, 150 years since the Civil War ended, saw almost no mention of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 01:13 am:

No one cares about that stupid OLD stuff !

News today is the "pain" suffered by discrimination, same sex marriage,
or any other "feelings" related issue.

Now, everyone gather around and collect your trophy !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 01:19 am:

Be careful, Burger... Don't offend someone's self-esteem!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 01:22 am:

It's alright. I have fresh copies of the Hurt Feelings Report for anyone so woefully injured to fill out. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 07:35 am:

It is often said that history forgotten will repeat itself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 07:37 am:

Dennis, you're SOOO correct! It's happening right now under our very eyes, at a large city East of us!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 08:05 am:

When Granddad died in 1963 the family bible said he was 103. Sherman burned his record of birth in his march through Ga. He probably knew every one in S.E. Ga and he operated a Grist Mill and also made wagon wheels.... I wish I had been older when he passed I always loved listening to the stories he told like the first time he saw an automobile, it was at night and he thought it was some kind of monster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 09:25 am:

My wife's great aunt watched Lincoln's funeral train pull through Illinois - Lagrange I think. When she was a little girl my future bride talked to the Great Aunt on the telephone. I find it amazing that my wife talked with someone who was alive when Lincoln was president. And no, she isn't all that ancient:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 09:48 am:

I knew a old black woman that I remember as Mrs. Willouby Jones. She could remember being a slave. She did not know how old she was, but could remember being a little girl as a slave, and being freed. Her whole family were the slaves of the Brandon family in south Arkansas. When I was in about the 7th grade in school, is the time when we lived in south Arkansas on the old Brandon Plantation. Mrs Jones still lived in one of the houses that were built for all the Brandon slaves when they were freed. It appears the Brandons were one of the good families that treated their slaves well. When they were freed, they were given the house, a cast iron pot and skillet, and other things needed as well as all the bedding they needed. She always said the Brandon's were "good people". I still have the "Pot, Skillet, and a large spoon" that she gave me. She said I would appreciate it and her kids did not want anything to do with the old stuff. Her family worked as "share croppers with the Brandons till WW2. Mrs Jones lived by herself and would walk to our house every day (about a 1/4 mile) She had very little food, so my mom and dad always made sure she had plenty to eat. She called my dad "Big Boss" my mom was "Miss Pat" and I was "Little Boss" She would wash my moms dishes, and sweep the floor, Then she would drink a cup of coffee with my dad or mom. I remember she would never sit at the table with us. Even though we tried to get her to sit with us, she always said it "was not proper" and would sit in a chair away from the table by herself. This was during the time of "Martin Luther King marches", and the "Little Rock Nine" I only met her kids one time. They hardly ever came to see her and were part of the marches and the "black panthers" She never could understand what "those niggers" of hers were trying to do. Those were her actual words, that Ill never forget. I understand what the blacks were trying to do, and something did need to be done, but it was sad that this old woman was forgot in the process. She could remember the Civil War but not much. The Brandon Plantation was one of the smaller plantations that were spared any of the fighting and there was very little action near them. I always liked to hear the stories she would tell. The way she would tell them and the words she used were from the "old days" I really believe she was a large influence on me liking the "old ways, and things". She was just a wonderful old woman...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 12:34 pm:

Donnie,

That's a great story of a fascinating woman. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

Here is a photo of the pot, skillet, and spoon, I have kept since I was a kid ... you can not see it in the photo, but the skillet is the type that stands on three legs or feet. It also has a hole worn in it from years of use ..

pots and pans

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

Donnie B! Wow! Those are incredible pieces of history. They and their connection to human history (although recent by history standards) NEED to be remembered. Humanity is dangerously close to repeating the paths that lead to oppression and (by history standards) modern slavery. (Ancient historic slavery was an honorable profession, people often sold themselves into it with a legal limit of seven years. "Modern" slavery was totally different.)

My thanks to all that have replied!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration