K-W road smoothers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: K-W road smoothers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen McConachie on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 06:44 am:

Has anyone encountered these accessory shock absorbers before? I have what I think is a partial set and trying to find information on how they go together and if I'm missing anything. They have a patent date of Dec 2 1919 stamped on the side of them.
Cheers Glen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 07:40 am:

They are a very common and popular period accessory. I hate the way the car handles with them installed, your opinion may vary, but it seems to add a lot of unnecessary monkey motion to the suspension that may be dangerous at speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 09:04 am:

I have a full set on my 17 touring. This is the best riding of my 5 T's You must use the ones for the correct body style. They do not change the handling any. If I had them,I would put them on all my T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 09:57 am:

Be sure not to get the K-W Monkey Motion Road Smoothers.
The regular versions are OK, but the Monkey Motion ones are
bad news. Unless, of course, you like monkeys.

On the other hand, the Money Motion ones lead to fat wallets
and flush bank accounts. Good to have a full set of those. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 11:41 am:

I would be very wary of all shock absorbers of that design. The failure of a similar shock killed the proprietor of Townsend Antique Auto Parts a couple years ago.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 11:42 am:

Period adv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 03:53 pm:

They are a neat looking accessory. But I doubt that I would ever use them. The rears are probably just fine to use. While they do add a possibility of a failure, they would likely "fail safe" and not cause a seriously dangerous situation. You probably would not even notice it when it broke and maybe only realize it when someone else would comment on "something looks broken"?
The fronts, however, have been shown to cause potentially dangerous shimmies in the front wheels and serious instability in the steering. They can and occasionally do break, resulting in the front axle shifting off to one side and causing a "death turn" at speed. They may have been okay back in their day when speeds were rarely above 20 mph on local dirt roads. But in recent rears there have been a couple fatal accidents where at least part of the cause was that type of shock absorber on the front axle.
Oddly, the posting I left on this forum just a few minutes ago, I mentioned that type of shock absorber being on the old photo.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/534143.html?1429125850

Now. K-W I think did make a later version made for the later front axle that may or may not be a bit safer than the more common early versions. I still would never trust one on a car that I wanted to be driven. The front end is critical. If something in the suspension breaks? The front end tends to shift to one side quickly then "dig in" with the weight of the car pushing behind it. Ford used basically the best materials available at the time. After-market accessories not so much.

Glen McC, Photos of your shocks would help a lot! As accessories, they are of great interest, and should be preserved and shown. Just not maybe on a car.
Do drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

They are a nice set of shocks, well made. I ran some for a few years. They are made for both tourings and roadsters, but they are marked as such on the brass label. The "roadster" ones are for a lighter car I believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen McConachie on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 06:32 am:

They are definately different to the above pictures. I have attached a couple of pics of what I have, I'm just trying to figure out if there is anything else required to fit them up. I have a tidy set of 4 of these (3 front and 2 rear) most likely they will be a showpiece on a car rather than fitted to a serious driver.
Cheers Glen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 06:55 am:

What you have is somewhat more interesting! That is why we like photos. I have had very little exposure to these on any car I have been familiar with. I do not know how well they would work, but I think they would be interesting to use on a car. The one pair you show on the viewer's right does not look like a matching pair? Do you have another piece?
They do NOT have the design flaw that makes the other K-W shocks dangerous on the front end. You probably will need special hardened bolts to install and use these. That may be easy to do, or it may not be so easy. Hopefully, one of our really good machinist regulars can give some good information on that.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen McConachie on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 07:51 am:

Yep I have a pair of rear and 3 front ones that would make a usable pair. I was trying to figure how the front end of the spring is supposed to be retained (the end away from the perches). Anyone know of or have pictures of a complete setup that I can use as reference?
Cheers Glen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen McConachie on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 05:51 am:

Here is a bit more on these accessory springs. I have just acquired another more complete appearing pair of front springs. It appears they anchor to the holes on the bottom side of the front crossmember. Has anyone come across an advertisement or pictures of this setup?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration