Wishbone bracket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wishbone bracket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 09:11 am:

I was under my T a week ago doing a routine pre-driving season safety check, and I found one of the studs that held the bottom half of the wishbone support missing. I ordered a new set of studs from Lang's and will install them today. What I did notice was that the castellated nut on the remaining stud was cotter pinned to the stud. This is an unsafe practice. It will keep the nut from coming off the stud, but it will not keep the stud from unscrewing itself from the bracket. These nuts (and studs) must be safety-wired together to keep the studs from coming out and causing an ugly situation. Perhaps this has already been posted, but it is something worth checking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 10:02 am:

That would be something worth repeating from time to time. It's not a problem that is obvious to everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 11:17 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 11:23 am:

Gosh Steve, I don't think that bailing wire job of yours will ever come loose! BTW, you have an early castle nut on one side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 11:28 am:

2013 Castle nut thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/371220.html?1372696530

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration