How to Detach the 1915 Hood Former

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How to Detach the 1915 Hood Former
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 10:35 am:

I need to dismount my 1915-vintage hood-former.
How is this done?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 10:56 am:

Slides straight up off the firewall, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 11:36 am:

Yeah, but where are the hidden fasteners?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 11:41 am:

There was nothing hidden on my 15, but getting it back on without splitting the passenger side of the fire wall is real fun.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 11:52 am:

It may have been crimped a little at installation at the factory. You might be able to loosen it with a putty knife. Be careful. The only fasteners are 2 wood screws at front about an inch and a half above the frame and of coarse the carriage bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 08:34 pm:

If someone at some point jammed it down onto a 3/4" plywood firewall, good luck. Better pack a lunch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

Mine was installed with RTV. Tough to get off, had to work a piece of stainless safety wire in there to cut the sealant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 02:00 am:

I think Bob purchased this car assembled, so those before him could have done lots of things.

Here is a picture which show the shape of the former. You will notice it has a return on the outside edge which goes over the wood dash.

After any fixtures have been removed ( screws, bolts) it as Robert says it should slide straight or it could have had the treatment Royce found or something else.
former

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration