Rebuilding a 26 Tudor rear differential

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rebuilding a 26 Tudor rear differential
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Going to rebuild my Tudor rear differential , my question is this , would it be better to rebuild one that's already out ( I have access to 3 ) or remove the one that's in the car and rebuild it ? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 11:01 am:

It depends on the condition of what's inside them. You don't know which one has the most good parts until you look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 11:26 am:

I agree with that , I guess I'm wondering ( assuming rebuild able) which would be the better way to go as far as taking out of car or prebuilding one and swapping out , I also have a roadster pick up that will be needing a rear rebuild also as I'm sure neither have the bronze thrust washers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 12:02 pm:

Probably easiest to conserve work by taking out rear end and then replacing with rebuilt one in a single operation. But remember the rear end unit consists of everything behind the transmission including the drive line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 12:41 pm:

Travis:

You could dismantle the differentials to retrieve the inner roller bearings...... chances are they will have better rollers ( .500 std. ) than the outer rollers.

Then use those for your outer bearings on your rebuild.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

Travis

You have the ideal scenario, by having extra complete rear axles.

The one now in the T has to come out, along with the drive shaft. And you have spares to take apart at the same time you dismantle the primary axle.

There is always need for better parts in a rebuild, the diff casings could need replacement, the pinion gears or the carrier, so by having two or more apart at the same time to rebuilt an axle is the best of all :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 01:41 pm:

Travis, I think it boils down to your 'down time'. If the car is drivable as is, and you have a spare rebuildable rear axle assembly; you may want to rebuild one that is out and still be able to drive the car until you actually install the rebuilt one in the car. On the other hand, if the car isn't presently drivable, its your choice. Use the best one you have. The original one has to come out sometime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

Might take more than a couple differentials to find enough good parts to make one. When I rebuilt the one for my '26 Touring, I took apart three diffs. and still didn't find enough good parts to make one.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration