1911 Model T Tool Display

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1911 Model T Tool Display
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 05:03 pm:

The attached picture of my 1911 Model T tool display was re-sized by Dan Treace. Thank you, Dan. Below, I've written a description of the tools that I have included in my display.
The list is as follows:
1 Book of Instructions
1 Price List of Parts
1 Tire Pump (T-1368)
The Tire Pump is a dual cylinder pump used from 1909 - 1920. From 1909 to 1912 the hose was black rubber and was held on by BRASS CLAMPS with BRASS BOLTS. The base is painted red and the steel parts at the top are brass plated. Around 1913 the hose was changed to red and attached by CRIMPED BRASS CLAMPS. The pump was changed to a single cylinder around 1920 for the rest of the production.
1 Repair Kit (Tire)
The Repair Kit consisted of the tire irons and a metal can that held tube patches. The tire company or the dealer supplied the kits with the car. I have seen kits of Firestone and Goodyear. The entire kit in the photo is from the Diamond Tire Company.
1 Tool Roll
The Tool Roll was made from tan canvas material, and included the following tools:
1 Adjustable Wrench (T-1387)
The early Adjustable Wrench had no Ford name or writing on it. The later ones had Ford script on them.
1 Hub Wrench (T-1349)
The early Hub Wrench had three openings: Two had flanges and the other did not: One opening was for hub caps, one for the wheel nut, and the third was for the wheel bearing. The later wrench had an additional hole for the rear axle nuts.
1 Number 27 Wrench (T-1917)
The early Wrench was wide and had a large Ford script on it. The later ones were a little narrower and had T-1917 on one side, and on the other side was a smaller Ford script.
1 Screwdriver (T-1902)
Shank of the Screwdriver is square and goes completely through the black handle.
1 Pair of Pliers (T-1903)
The early pliers were thicker than the later ones. They all had Ford script on them. Some had a screwdriver end on the handle. The one in my tool kit does not have a screwdriver end.
1 Oil Can (T-2337)
The early Oil Can had a bayonet type twist off top and the later can had a top that unscrewed. All the Oil Cans were copper plated steel with Ford script.
1 Speedometer Wrench (T-2339)
The Speedometer Wrench was a Steward Speedometer wrench. It was supplied to cars that had the more complex knurled lock nut and the spring washer assembly. The wrench was used for the removal of the pinion gear from the swivel.
1 Spark Plug Wrench (T-2178) and Handle (T-2177)
The Spark Plug Wrench was a double ended socket that had identical ends that fit the spark plug that had holes in each end to enable it to be turned by the handle. This Spark Plug wrench replace the (T-2356) plug wrench toward the end of 1911.
If anyone has any different thoughts or documentation, please email me. 1911 Model T Tool Display

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 11:43 am:

Peter,
Can you post a photo of the Ford pliers without the screwdriver end? Does your adjustable wrench have a Ford script? These are subjects we have discussed (argued?) several times on this forum. Are your tools painted or lacquered or what?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

I have either a Tire Pump with a dual cylinder but need restoration for the inside mechanism. Did someone know where I could buy parts in the goal to make the pump work again?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 01:53 pm:

Pete - Could you please post a picture of the Hub Wrench, T-1349?

These are very rare & I would like to see your correct one.

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

Pete,
I re-read you list and see that your adjustable wrench (T-1387) has NO Ford script. Does it have any markings? Do you know what company made it? Also, I'd like to see a closeup of the metal can for the Diamond Tire Co. repair kit. That is something I have never seen before. Sorry for the second post. I'm not trying to badger you. It's just that you seem to have a very authentic tool kit and I'd like to see some of the tools closeup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 07:54 am:

Rick

Thank you for your interest. I am going to try to answer your questions. I have taken pictures and will try to put them on this Forum.The pliers is the only one with a Ford script.

Pete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 08:02 am:

Keith, The hub wrench photo is for you. There is no script or markings on it.
Pete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 08:17 am:

The pliers have the turned end where the screw driver end would be but it looks like it was ground down. I've posted this picture before but there is a pair of pliers on the far left with the wider jaws. These appear to be the earliest and are the only ones with the noticeably turned out screw drive leg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 01:07 pm:

Pete - Thank you for posting the Hub Wrench picture.

I have one that's very similar. It's the same as yours, except it's 8 sided on the smaller end.

Does anyone know what this wrench is for?

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 04:38 pm:

Pete,
I guess I have been under the mistaken impression that the narrow jawed pliers came first. I have seen several pliers like yours but I believe every one I have seen has been ground so it will have a screwdriver tip. What about the adjustable wrench (T-1387). Does it have any markings? Thanks for the closeups.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

Keith, I think the small end is for the drain plug. Are we on the same channel?

We miss seeing you on tours. Maybe again some day. Regards to Carol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 05:24 pm:

Peter,
Is your tool kit for sale? Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

Hal - Yes, the small end is for the drain plug, but the drain plug is six sided (15/16") and the small end on my wrench is 8 sided (1 & 1/8"), so it's not correct for the early Model T's.

Also, my wrench does not have any names or numbers on it.

That's why I'm wondering what my wrench is for.

Hal - We miss going on tours with you and Vonnie also. This year we're going on the Branson tour.
One of these times, maybe.

Best wishes,

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

Can you give me some measurements on the handle for spark plug wrench? I finally got the cast wrench,but no handle. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 07:17 pm:

These are the dimensions. The handle is supposed to have a bend. If you look carefully in the pictures in the parts manuals, you can make out the handle nestled inside the wrench.

wrench

wrench 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

Thank you,now I can make one.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration