Headlight Rim Tool

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Headlight Rim Tool
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel E. Snell on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

Can someone tell me where I can purchase a headlight rim removal tool that is a band type with a handle that wraps around the outside of the rime?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

Dan - I have one of those headlight rim removal tools that's a band with a handle on it and it doesn't work very well at all. It's ok if the rim isn't on very tight, but that's all.

Bob Bergstadt makes a tool for removing headlight rims that works just great, expecially on hard to remove rims. I couldn't find it in his catalog, but Snyders carries it as part #T-6575-T for $29.95. I'm sure that Langs and other vendors carry it also. This tool really works.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold R Carpenter - Fair Grove, MO on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

Lang's has them. Catalogue number #657RT at $52.50 in the 2014 Catalogue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold R Carpenter - Fair Grove, MO on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

Daniel
Keith is right. I have both rim removal tools and the one made by Bob Bergstadt is by far the better of the two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 09:16 am:

I have them in stock
815-633-7244 Bob
The copy of Ford's tool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 09:38 am:

Bob- I searched your site for the headlight removal tool but couldn't find it. The dropdown menu stated "headlight removal tool" but all kinds of unrelated parts showed up. What is the part number? Better yet- can you supply a link?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 10:08 am:

I just push in with both hands and turn. What could be easier?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 10:12 am:

Since all this has gone on with the family issues we are short staffed and web site has not been updated, part # T-1243-T
On sale today 26.00 plus postage
Bob
These come un painted with Ford part number stamped on it, they do work nice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

Bob - I would like to order one of these. How do we do proceed?

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 01:13 pm:

Just give Bob a call at 815-633-7244 and have your credit card handy.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 01:33 pm:

Thanks Keith, done deal!

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

You're welcome, Paul..

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 06:14 pm:

A friend of mine and I have made some band type headlight tools. There are 3 handles on it. Two are grasped together to hold the band with holes snug on the headlight rim. The third handle is opposite the two that clamp. Press in and turn and off goes the rim. This tool grabs all 4 rivets, not just two. Problem is it takes us 2 man hours just to make one unit, even if running a batch, so no production run for us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright from Central NC on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 07:00 pm:

i wrapped a leather belt around the rim of mine and used it like a chain wrench. It worked for me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 08:11 pm:

I've always set the complete headlight (removed from car) on a piece of rubber mat so as to not mar anything up and lean over with my weight (nope, not telling) and twist it right off !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel E. Snell on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

Got to tell you guys, that I bought the U shaped tool that Bob recommended and it did not work. I now have a completely scratched rim. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a band type tool that would not scratch the paint off the rim?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

Home made tool that works for me. The two hard wood pieces on the bottom have notches that align with the rivet heads on rims. Can be used on car or placed on bench so buckets can be inserted and twisted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 11:20 pm:

You can buy it from Lang's for $52.50, or as John mentioned above, you can make it yourself. I lined mine with Gorilla Tape to avoid scratching.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 09:53 am:

Daniel, are you pushing the rim toward the back of the car before twisting counter clockwise? I have had good results with the U shaped tool but you have to push the rim back an eight or so before it will turn. You might also try spraying some Gibbs in there first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 11:24 am:

I have Bob's tool and it worked brilliantly on one of my rims and the other was a bit banged up and it couldn't grab the rivet- so sometimes the age of the rim is a factor, but that's life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 12:02 pm:

Sometimes a rim is rusted tight onto the headlight shell. What you have to do then is spray penetrating oil in between the rim and the shell and try to scrape between the two with a knife or small screwdriver to loosen them up first.

If you have a rim thats rusted tight onto the shell, the band type tool with the handles on it just won't do it. The rim has to be somewhat loose on the shell first. The U shaped tool from Bob's is the only thing that worked for me, and I didn't scratch the rim in the process.

Daniel, I have a band type tool and you can have it free for the postage cost if you want it. It has a rubber covering so it won't scratch the rim, but it wouldn't remove the rim for me. Bob's tool did work. Send me an email at: cgumbinger at att.net

Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration