OT - Rockford Illinois cars, 1907

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Rockford Illinois cars, 1907
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

This article lists 216 cars registered at the end of 1907. I was surprised by the makes, and number of each. Ford already has by far the largest market share, with some surprising numbers by less known brands. Electrics seemed surprisingly popular, and local cars seemed to have an advantage:

When totaled together, Ford had a little over 14% of the total. Some of the Fords listed as runabouts may be earlier touring's and tonneau's, such as models A,B,C or F. I was surprised not to see more Olds and Cadillacs, along with other "popular" makes. I missed a few when totaling up cars, as the article says there were 216 registered, and my count when dividing by makes only came to 213.

The one I would most like to own?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

I'm surprised that electric cars would be popular because electricity wouldn't be as available to recharge batteries as it is today. I think most of the cities still had gas lamps and such.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

Ford K alone was equal to all Buick? How can that be? Buick had only been built a few years at that point, but was already considered one of the top manufacturers.
Thanks Rob!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

Denny, I was surprised too. The article below explains the reasons several Rockford motorists are buying electric. There's also a new Model K buyer mentioned, along with several other new owners:

Wayne, I was surprised at the numbers too. It seems as with the saying "all politics are local," the same applied to cars makes. If there was a dealer nearby, with a good reputation, I think that brand sold well. Another advantage of Ford may have been the ability to attract local dealers early.

The fellow who bought the Vanderbilt Cup racer, E. K. Barnes, owned a few racers and had some interesting run ins with Ford Model K. I may do a thread later on it. It turned out well for the Ford......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 12:11 am:

A few of the lessor known makes. I don't know if the year or models are correct for the Rockford cars:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration