Bolting Rear Crossmember To Springs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Bolting Rear Crossmember To Springs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

Just a thought; Would bolting the rear crossmember to the leaf spring stack cause any serious problems, as long as the head of the bolt does not interfere with anything, and I have access to it? I'm assuming part of the reason the crossmember fits over the square head of the bolt is to allow removal of the spring stack without removing the body from the frame. Is it also to allow some flex so the crossmember won't stress and crack? I'm thinking if I bolt the two together, I'll eliminate the possibility of the crossmember slipping off the bolt head, but I don't want to crack the crossmember.

Probably bad idea, but I thought I'd ask it anyway. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 05:27 pm:

Forgive me for not totally understanding your idea. Are you suggesting somehow taking the bolt that ties the spring stack together in the center of the stack and tying the crossmember into the stack with the tie bolt. Like putting a washer under the head of the bolt and above the crossmember? I don't understand what purpose it would serve when the U-bolts tie it altogether anyway. I get the feeling I'm missing what you're attempting to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 05:46 pm:

Mike- Yes, that's what I'm thinking. Thought it would eliminate the possibility of the crossmember coming off the bolt head. But don't want to crack the crossmember either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

Dave,

The U-bolts keep the head of the center bolt from coming out of the square hole. Also if you try to stack the spring leaves individually on a very long bolt that goes from the top of the cross member it would need to be a very long bold as the leaves halve to be compressed just to install the regular center bolt. My suggestion, leave it as designed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Good chance the cross member will break out.

There will be movement, that you can't stop, and the spring won't be able to relieve the stress.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

Dave -- If you put a proper high-head tie bolt in the spring and clamp the U-bolts down well, it won't come out from the hole in the crossmember. Also use a proper spring pad, to allow some slight movement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 12:14 am:

Thanks, all. Kinda figured this would add stress and possibly crack the crossmember at the bolt hole. As I said, I'll have it apart, and just thought it might help keep everything centered-up, but I'll leave it as designed. BTW, I have a new high-head spring bolt ordered and on the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 08:06 am:

Thanks for clarifying Dave. Very interesting question. I'd be inclined to use as Henry designed, but still an interesting thought.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration