Ford Faithful - shouldn't there be more to it?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ford Faithful - shouldn't there be more to it?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

Here is a Ford Faithful for sale on Ebay. Shouldn't there be more to it? I thought there was some sort of a catchment shelf that caught the oil and funneled it into the outlet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-FAITHFUL-OILING-SYSTEM-FOR-MODEL-T-FORD-CARS-/28166 4758711?hash=item41948723b7&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

Yes there is more to it and that price is out of the ball park. The parts you listed and the oil line are missing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

Why is the outlet on the right side and leading right? Engine rotation, and I assume oil-slinging, is in the other direction, toward the left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 09:39 pm:

It doesn't matter really what side it's on. Friend of mine has his external oil line on the passenger side and it delivers a lot of oil that way

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/226585.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

Also missing the bottom fitting that the oil line goes to.
At the point the oil leaves the transmission cover door it is flowing by gravity and only needs to go down hill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 10:00 pm:

they work well, just aggravating when you have to drop the inspection pan or remove transmission cover. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 12:01 am:

A rubber hose work great in place of the copper line. Just add the barbed fittings at both ends and clamp the hose to them. You could also use a small brass union at one end too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 12:11 am:

I agree with Keith....they do work well.

The big question I have is....Why has no one reproduced them??? They are very easy to install and are effective. There is no cutting holes to install one. Over the years, supplies have dried up and costs sky rocketed. I seen one at the Bakersfield swap meet that was also missing the lower half.....which is the most important part.
It was also priced far over the limit of what I would pay for a complete set.
At one time, this product was the best add on item you could do to increase oiling to the bearing for model T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 12:44 am:

I sold 2 at Bakersfield, one cast iron, one pressed steel that was a bit rough (I gave it away) and one really nice one with the catch plate and screen I sold for $50.

I use these with the modern catch plate that has a magnet in it, and run a nicely bent 5/6" line to the front center bolt of the inspection plate. On one car I have the original foot like Jay shows in his pictures, on the other I have a homemade one; it's just a piece of 1/4" strap cut to the proper shape so the two outside front bolts of the inspection plate can secure it, and the center hole is tapped for a standard elbow fitting. The oil line from the cover plate connects to this. It looks and works fine.

So the part that you actually need is the piece in the auction, but the price is nuts.

On a side note, I have one more I am going to sell, just the cover, nice, straight, already cleaned and painted, for $40 plus shipping (should be about $6 or 7). If you're interested in it PM me. I can't get it in the mail until next Saturday due to work and travel. That's not the point of my post, just mentioning it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 10:02 am:

Why reproduce them? There are plenty of originals around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 12:32 pm:

Larry,
At one time, there "were" plenty around. Seldom anymore do I see both the Old Ford Faithful inspection cover and lower pan inlet together. I have been going to swap meets since 1958....the supply has dwindled and the costs soared.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 06:05 pm:

They are one of the best accessories for a T. We looked into making them but the tooling to stamp them was too expensive. Max Edmonds was making a cast version but he is gone now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

Glen - did Max's look like these ? These came with parts I purchased from Bill Rader's estate stash. A friend of mine had the footplates made for me, they'll fit both 3 or 4 dip pans.
Nice to visit with you at Bakersfield, again !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 08:32 pm:

Glen,
Could the Old Ford Faithful be made in an affordable two part casting ...Sandwich assy. at a cost that would sell? Just thinking....no expensive tooling required....although more machining would be necessary. There is a need out there for this item.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

Here's the shot of the intake - screen fit is a bit hokey but can be addressed.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration