Anybody fitted modern carby to vapouriser manifold?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Anybody fitted modern carby to vapouriser manifold?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 04:21 am:

Guys I'm tossing up which way to go when I remove the vapouriser on my 27. Can a modern carby fit to existing inlet manifold (raised) or would I need to change the manifold and fit the modern Carby down low?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 05:40 am:

you will have nothing but grief with a modern carburetor. I would suggest a different path.

Original manifolds should be plentiful and cheap, as well as used NH's.

Then you'll have to purchase or make monkey-action to operate the carb if you don't have a hole through the block.

Why not fix what you have?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 07:14 am:

That was my original option but I was interested to see if the modern carby was an option.
The vapouriser is definitely coming off, I already have the older style manifolds but was interested to see if the modern carb could be fitted up high.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 08:47 am:

Kevin, If you go with a through the block control, you will need to move or add the piece on the throttle rod that controls the carb butterfly. This part or similar. https://www.modeltford.com/item/3531A.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 08:54 am:

Whats wrong with your vap? They are a lot easier to fix that all that changing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 09:13 am:

About ten years ago I thought I'd try to make a VW bug carb work on a vaporizer manifold.
I made a 90* elbow to mount the carb and ran a rod over the head for the throttle.
The bad part is it needed an electric fuel pump.
Long story short it's still on my car and has worked very well.
Gets a lot better mileage and maybe a little more power.
I'll try to post a pic but don't know if I can make it work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van. Saint Louis, MO on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

My 1927 block is not punched out between 2 and 3. I know others have punched the hole, but I didn't want to do that with my block. I have been running my Holley NH with an over the top linkage for 2 years now, and it has worked well for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

I have the modern carb. I think it is a Kohler air cooled motor carb. It is very hard to start the T the first start of the day. After the motor has warmed up it starts ok; sometimes I will get a free start. It appears from the exhaust, that it runs a little rich, There is no adjustment for lean or rich. I would look for a NH. I believe I have one coming my way and I am looking forward to using it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 06:43 pm:

Thanks guys all good feedback. Jim the vap works great on the starter but basically wont crank easily and i want to crank every time. Without going through everything I've tried ...its coming off.
Joe, the NH conversion is the obvious and I also wont be punching a hole so over the top will be the method like you, thanks for the pic.
However I'm very keen to hear if anybody has sat a modern Carb on the existing vap manifold and if so does it crank?
Bob using a "cabbage Cutter" carby sounds interesting & I'd love to see a pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

OK...here's a pic of my "cabbage cutter???"
I've heard VWs called a lot of things but this is new to me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

Hot it starts on one pull.
Cold is a bit more work but it does start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

Bob, Might start better with a new coil lead. ;>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

Gary...sharp eye!
It went in front of the carb so I yanked it out.
It's back in place now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 11:57 pm:

Lol, if youv'e ever heard and old cabbage cutter working it sounds like a V Dub, I've called them this since the 70's. 1st crank when hot sounds perfect!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 06:44 am:

I guess mounting any carby high on the vapouriser inlet might need a fuel pump?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 10:22 am:

Here's a pic of an adapter I made to put an NH on a vaporizer manifold, locating it where it would be if on a regular intake manifold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 06:22 pm:

Todd I like it. In HS I put an NH on a VM and it did run bit the intake did ice up. Your setup looks like it would solve that problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

Nice option Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

Kevin H I see the modern carbs listed at Mac's etc do have a mixture control so they should be easier to set, running too rich is not what I want end up with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright from Central NC on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

Hey folks, so a little while back I purchased one of these from online to run on my (still in progress) car. I will be building a header system that forces me to run the carb above the exhaust. my plan was to bolt the carb right onto the VM via an adapter plate. After thinking through it a little more, i reached out to Stan Howe for advice. He suggested to cut a piece of pipe with the same ID of the intake of the VM carmake about 3.5" long or so and then weld a flange on each end to allow the pipe to bolt to the VM on one end and the carb on the other. This extra room would allow for extra volume of fuel/air mixture so that when the engine started pulling the fuel mixture from one port to the other there would be enough reserve that it would not starve the engine.

That being said, I have not done this yet, but i wanted to pass on the advice. I also started a similar thread on this a while back.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/361238.html?1368442977

this thread also contains the link for another similar thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thompson on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 07:44 am:

Question for Joe Van
Where did you get the overhead linkage for your car? I am looking for a set up like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van. Saint Louis, MO on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 10:26 am:

If you are looking for a buy and install Langs sells them ($39.95)
https://www.modeltford.com/item/6299CL.aspx

Looking at the pictures that Langs had, it wasn't very hard to build my own for a lot less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

I ran an NH carb directly on a vaporizer intake for many years on a speedster.
I had an electric fuel pump for going up any hills though when the fuel got low. The tank was about 4 inches above the frame. It ran well right down to the last drop on level ground without the fuel pump..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 07:28 pm:

Aaron thats interesting and would be an easier process than swapping manifolds. Did the car crank start every time? as this is the main reason the vapouriser is coming off. I want to crank it every time AND compression start would be nice also!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 10:06 am:

Something like this?

That one works but ices up quite a bit.

(Message edited by Ken_Todd on April 20, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

Ok bugger, icing up wont be any good to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

I'm thinking that the photo above of Ken Todd's arrangement probably is a pretty darn good design as it would appear that the "icing" problem would be pretty much taken care of by exhaust heat being transferred to the vertical tube which also allows the carburetor to be low enough to operate via gravity fuel feed as Henry intended.

Tell us how it all worked out Ken,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 11:16 pm:

Here is another. I agree that Ken Todds first one above is a better setup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 10:05 am:

Harold, I just ran the engine on a test stand and it ran good. I have to finish building the car that that engine set-up is going in. Might be a while before that's done.
FWIW, I painted that manifold extension since that picture was taken and it looks much better in flat black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 12:27 pm:

My thinking on reviewing this is that in most not all casses is hood clearence. Not a problem for a speedster but incase you wanted it to all fit under the hood for the trouble just find a pre 25 NH setup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

I'm keen to try a NH, firstly on the vap inlet for interest but I do have the older manifolds in good nick so I can change everything over and just keep the original set up together aside.
However i cant source a good operating NH in NZ... yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright from Central NC on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 12:18 am:

I have considered doing something like this to combat icing... http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/377874,13633/1915-Ford-Old-Number-4-Racer_ photo.aspx any thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 04:04 am:

There was a lady selling 3 NH but i haven't seen her for a while.
The were $80 each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 05:18 am:

One good one will do...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 05:02 am:

I have access to a NH to try out, does anybody know if adaptor plates are available from one of the suppliers to join a NH on a Vap manifold?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

I did exactly as Ken Tod did in his second picture.
I never had a problem with it icing up. An air intake hose could be made to pick up heat from the exhaust system.

Kevin Weeds; yes it did start right up with the hand crank. In fact until I sold the car I never had a starter on it.

I like the color of Joe's '27 engine. Looks very Model T era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 03:58 pm:

When I bought my '27 Runabout, this was the set-up.
set up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 04:28 am:

James that looks another option and saves removing manifolds if you want to change back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 04:28 am:

When having a look tonight I was wondering if anybody has removed the vap inlet and fitted an older inlet upside down. This means a carby would sit higher than the head and the inlet (if no adaptor was used) of the new carby would face to the rear.
Anyone seen this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 04:49 am:

I have a '26 with a Vaporizer, and I've often wondered about fitting an Amal. They come in 1 1/16" bore size and they are very simple.
The mounting is like an NH, so it only needs a thick aluminium plate with 4 holes to adapt.
And the scuttle tank is high enough to work.
I have a friend with a box full of Amals......but he can't find it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

Chris I've never heard of a Amal? if you ever find one and fit it post a pic please. Would you fit on original Vap inlet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

Amal were British motorcycle carbs. Might need larger jets when used on a T?

amal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 04:44 am:

Ok Ta, Ill keep an eye out.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration