Drag link help needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Drag link help needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

I have posted on the classifieds section for a drag link for my TT. I posted that I need one for a 1925 of length 30.312" - 30.438" long. My problem is that I cannot say exactly what year I need. Based on the frame, it is a 1925 but I recall seeing what I thought was a date embossed on the front axle of sometime in 1926. I will have to verify that tonight. Someone has offered me drag link that is 30.875" which is the 26-27 length.

My question is how do you determine exactly what length to use if the parts are pieced together? Are there specific part numbers that can be used or particular measurements? If I have a '26 axle do I need a later pitman arm to go with it? Do the spindles make a difference (I assume that I have the standard TT spindles)?

I have researched previous discussions on this topic and have found the lengths in the encyclopedia but I am afraid of making the wrong decision of what to use. Any help is appreciated since I will hopefully be needing to steer this thing soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

I'll add to the confusion with this information. The drag link on my 1924 TT project (8-31-23 engine) is exactly 30.25". That's measuring just the piece itself, not the caps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

I would think you could use the toe-in measurement thats given in the Ford Service Manual.
Set the front wheels as pictured in the manual then use a tape to measure the distance between the points where the drag link attaches to.

That measurement would get you pretty close I would think. I'm sure others will scratch their head on this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

Justin
The '26-7 steering column is located closer to the frame than the earlier cars
IF you are using that steering column then you need the long drag link ( the 30 7/8 one)

I believe that most of the 26-7 columns are tilted lower BUT that the 4 dr car was tilted the same as the earlier car

I can't say for sure if the 4 dr column was located closer to the frame like other 26-7 vehicles
The 26/7 column frame bracket is located as close to the frame as reasonably possible. The earlier ones have much more space from the frame

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 08:25 pm:

The frame mount may just be the key. I know that the TT steering frame bracket is specific to it. My parts book (April 1, 1927) shows that the bracket is Part No. 3539C for the 18-27 truck. 3539B is listed for 11-25 cars, 3539D & 3539E are for the various 26-27 body styles. Steve's 30.25" long drag link may just be correct although the parts book only shows two drag links: 2725B (1909-25) and 2725C (1926-27). None are specifically designated for the truck. It would be nice to know the length of other TT drag links of various years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

Justin,
The TT steering bracket and wood block are different, but I THINK the difference just compensates for the thicker frame. I'm pretty sure all the other parts are the same as a regular T.

Of course with a TT it can be difficult to match up year model and parts. It's my observation and belief that the TT assembly lines used up what was in stock before moving to an updated part. A great example of this is my TT, an '18, has original equipment '15/'16 steering column with the 2 threaded holes on top for the horn button.

Good luck and remember to stay a little flexible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 09:33 pm:

I measured the drag link on my 25 TT at 30-1/4" long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

18 tt and 23 roadster have the 30.25
But then again my tt has a 6 leaf front spring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 08:04 am:

It looks like I'll have to change my want ad to 30.25". I measured the movement of the ball on the tie rod from stop to stop and it is only about 5 1/4" so the difference between a 30 1/4" and a 30 7/8" drag link would be fairly significant.

Thanks to those who measured what they have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 02:38 am:

Justin this page is from the Clubs Encyclopedia. It does show 2 different Drag links that were used on the TT. I knew that they were the same as the Cars previous to the improved model cars and remained the same as the older TT's until Dec 1927. I do know this because I have worked with many of them. The one thing I didn't know until I looked at this chart was that a different one was used for the first 2 years. All my TTs have the 30.25" (Approx) links from 1925 to 1927.
None are as long as 30.438 as the chart suggests though by measuring from center to center.

chart

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 07:39 am:

Thanks for the information Fred. What really had me confused was the difference to the '26-'27 models. You can see the date on my axle below and the spindles. I think that these are the earlier spindles, as they should be, but I'm still working on getting all of these TT anomalies straight in my head.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration