KW Coil Box project for the 13...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: KW Coil Box project for the 13...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 01:45 pm:

So, a few months ago, I posted a thread looking for the best stain prescription for my KW coil box. Here's the the thread...

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/515309.html?1423274549

When I bought my 13 Touring car, it had the wrong coil box in it. So, I purchased one of those unfinished coil boxes that you can run the Ford coils in, put some cherry stain from Miniwax on it and used it as-is for a few years. Trouble is, the lid was square (no slope) and the color wasn't right. In fact, in the pictures, you can see that the color of my first box is WAY OFF, and it just didn't look right. So, by the end of the thread, I decided that I definitely needed the correct shape box to start, and also the right stain.

R.V. Anderson was nice enough to help me out. He typically mixes his own stains but he put me on to the stains from Laurel Mountain. I then bought a new unfinished box with the correct sloping lid, and set about the task of making another coil box.

I'm very pleased with the results. The Laurel Mountain stain provides a deep red color and it looks great. I put the old box next to the new one for comparison. The correct "red" color makes the Miniwax cherry stain almost look orange.

The latches are the only thing I really need to finish. I had to make the top part of the latch that hooks to the lid. I have a date with Metro Plating in Bethesda, MD to have those brass plated. Then the box will be complete and reasonably correct (barring the innards which hold the standard Ford coils) box1box2box3box4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 02:12 pm:

Nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 07:28 pm:

Great work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

James
I would like to see a few more photos of the inside of the coilbox and lid.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

Ron.. Send me a PM with your email and I'll send them to you. They are high resolution so I have to really go through a lot of work to post them on this forum.

Gary and Royce... Thank you!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration