Can anyone ID this car?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Can anyone ID this car?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brian hollins on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 06:17 pm:

This car appeared in the 1948 movie I Remember Mama, a period movie whose story was set in 1910. It looks like a Model T but may not be. Can anyone ID the model and year and add any additional information?

auto 1auto 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 06:28 pm:

Brian

Pretty sure your right, it's not a T. The front axle has a weird double curve in it, that I've never seen on a T.

Betcha someone will get it very quickly ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 06:31 pm:

It looks very much like a Mitchell to me. Maybe a 1910 or so.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 06:37 pm:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/288914,9172/1910-Mitchell-Model-S_photo.as px

Same contour to the front axle. Same bulge under rear door. I agree, the radiator is polished in the movie car and painted in the restored one. Also a different windshield.

I enjoyed that movie very much. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

Yes it is a Model T, only a 1910 Model T Mitchell.
My list of Model T vehicles is 14 makes plus Ford!
That axle design on the ends is called Lemoigne.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

That is one of my Favorite Movies and always wondered what that car was. Thanks Layton

-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 01:23 am:

Layden, If I recall correctly, Cadillac had a model T, one of the last one cylinder cars if I remember right. I know that Regal also had a model T. It was one of my favorite ads in one of my favorite Floyd Clymer books a long time ago.
Or is my memory getting worse than I think?
Care to share your list? I have often wondered how many model Ts there were?

(I know, I know. There were fifteen million of them.)

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 10:49 am:

Ford
Mitchell
Pope-Hartford
Case
Oldsmobile
Cadillac ( Yes the last 1 cylinder)
Richmond
Regal
Grant
Interstate
Reo
Gardner
Halladay
Lexington had a Series T
Chevrolet Series T was their truck line built
with many car components like the TT Ford
And there may be more out there!
No one could copyright T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 11:10 am:

It's sort of interesting to observe that alpha or alpha/numeric designations for cars was pretty much the standard of the industry in the early years. Later most cars were named for things that would hopefully catch the imagination of prospective buyers, for example Cougar, Impala, Victoria, Galaxie, Thunderbird, Mustang, Cutlass, Firebird, and on and on and on. In more recent times we have pretty much come full circle. Many of today's cars are designated with alpha or alpha/numeric labels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 04:08 pm:

Thank you Layden B!
And a very interesting observation by Henry P also!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

Henry, I agree, but some weren't all that imaginative. Plymouth models in the early fifties, as I recall, were the Cambridge. the Cranbrook and the Concord. Dodge had Meadowbrook, Coronet and Wayfarer. On second thought, maybe the names in those cases captured the cars... solid and a bit stodgy. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration