OT About the virtues of Black Pepper

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT About the virtues of Black Pepper
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 07:27 pm:

A few weeks ago there was a discussion about radiators and stop leaks. I suggested Black Pepper as an emergency fix. Well I put it to the ultimate test. When I was bringing home the second load of the big estate parts buy, my radiator started leaking. It was a "gusher" Well Im about 3 hours from home, and early in the morning sitting at a quick stop gas station. I look at the radiator and it appears that two of the cores had completely broken loose at the bottom tank and had shifted toward the rear about a 1/2 inch. So back into the quick stop I go... No stop leak at all so I buy a can of black pepper (for $9.27). I pour about 1/2 of the pepper in the tank and re fill with water. She stops leaking almost instantly. Im only about 10 miles from where Im going so I opt to go on to the parts pile. At least I can look and load the trailer while I wait for help. So when I get there not a seep can be seen. So I spend the day loading and decide to "try it" and head for home. I had to go thru Hot Springs Arkansas right down Central Ave. (Bath House Row) at rush hour and it is also "Derby Day" at the horse track. I had forgot how bad traffic is on "Derby Day" It is about 12 Miles across Hot Springs and I had to stop at every traffic light twice due to the traffic. I made it all the way home (3 hour trip) in a overloaded truck pulling a overloaded trailer. Probably not my wisest decision, but I made it home. I love "Black Pepper" The two pics show the inside and outside of the radiator and how far the tubes had shifted. You can see the actual hole where the tube used to be and the Black Pepper stopping it up. . I believe the tubes were under strain from a previous accident about 10 years ago and the side support had also came loose.

radiator 1

radiator 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

WOW! Lucky, lucky. Did you buy a lottery ticket?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

Cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

that is good to know I think I will put some in my toolbox for emergency. I have not had any luck with stop leak

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

You might also try adding some salt and a little garlic powder.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, April 17, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

That was about two weeks ago. I just replaced the radiator today and still not a seep. I forgot to mention that with a fix like this you should leave the radiator cap loose. You do not want the radiator to "build pressure". I have used black pepper before, but never on anything as bad as this... I should have stopped at the track and bet on some horses that day ...:-) :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration