Valve Adj. Frequency?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Valve Adj. Frequency?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 07:33 am:

I'M kinda wondering if there's a consensus on the frequency for adjusting valves. Here's the scenario: have newly rebuilt engine, z-head, new valves and adjustable tappets, new crank, new pistons, Stipe cam, etc. I have approximately 300 miles on the engine. So far, so good. I do get a little expected tappet noise at start up and less once the engine is warmed up. But I am wondering at what point should I be expecting to adjust the valve clearance and then how often I should do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 07:44 am:

Maybe 20,000 miles? If you keep the oil clean it should be a long, long time before you need to think about valve adjustment. Typically there should be no reason to adjust them unless you grind the valves during a valve job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 09:01 am:

Did you replace the bearings when you installed the cam? If you placed a new cam and new bearings, and adjusted according to directions from the manufacturer My stipe cam said .010. If you think there is too much noise, you can check them again. If they are still adjusted as according to instructions, leave them alone. You may never need to re adjust unless you grind the valves.

With valves a little noise is not bad, but no noise could be too tight resulting in burnt valves.

Note. You must make the adjustment at the heel of the cam. If you adjust them at other cam position, you might not have the right clearance.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 09:36 am:

Norm, Everything was new in the engine except the block itself...and NOT rebuilt by me. I paid a well known professional outfit to do it. Some things aren't worth pinching pennies on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 01:52 am:

Kevin,
It has been 10 years since I installed a Stipe 280 cam and have not needed to re-adjust the valves. The cam bearing were used.....everything else in the valve train was new including hard seats. I agree with Royce's comments

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 07:18 am:

Thanks for the feedback. Nice to know I can just drive and enjoy. I'm ready for summer and hitting the road.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration