Rear Axle Assembling

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rear Axle Assembling
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

The MTFCA Manual recommends assembling the driveshaft, rear axle and radius rods as one unit and then installing it in the car. Is that the best way to go?

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 12:57 pm:

Yes. In all honesty, I can't possibly imagine installing all of those parts separately under the car. Additionally, the drive shaft pinion and the ring gear mesh need to be correctly adjusted. I wouldn't want to try that under the car. My two cents worth, perhaps over valued. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

I've just finished doing it both ways. It was much easier assembling the whole unit before installing it. Packing the U-joint with grease really helped inserting the drive shaft to trans. Search the forum, I found really good info and pictures of this job. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

I believe some use some type of stand to assemble the rear end. Could someone post photos or either an old stand for this purpose or even one that is homemade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 06:04 pm:

Here's a home-made one in use (best view starting at 4:45):

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/390601.html?1385415681

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration