Modern Aluminum radiator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Modern Aluminum radiator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

Has anyone ever used an aluminum radiator? Champion makes a few different models with the modern filler and cap on the left side, and inlet on the right side.

Not talking about a T bucket, but thinking it might work on a speedster. Would not want to put it on a touring, roadster, etc.

Just thinking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright from Central NC on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 12:36 am:

Just FYI, this has been discussed a little bit before. From what I have seen, it looks like if you get the ford style T bucket radiator then you would have an inlet in the upper passenger side corner and an outlet in the bottom drivers side corner of the radiator... so at least one of them would be ready to go!

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/453854.html?1403484736

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/484069.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 12:03 am:

Just talked to Matt at Champion radiators. He stated that there is nothing they can do to fit one of their radiators in a Model T. He knows a T used thermosyphon and he was not sure if their radiators will work that way.

I suggested he look into it since he is in charge of development and could be a good way to branch out for more sales. He was not interested.

Makes you wonder how Glenn's is working out. He is mentioned in one of the above posts from Nathan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 02:31 am:

If they were easy to obtain here i might risk changing the hose fittings at see how well they work out. Might work on a budget speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn Nicodemus on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 08:43 am:

Just to update I have not run my car with the aluminum radiator but hope to soon. To many other projects this past winter interfered with my plans to have this completed by spring. Now all I need is some paint work on the body and a few "minor" adjustments here and there and it should be ready. Will certainly post pics and an update on the radiator once it is done. Stay tuned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 10:24 am:

Dave,

Matt at Champion is right to wonder if thermosyphon will work with their radiators. My dad had a T radiator recored many years back with a very dense, modern, flat tube core. It cooled great and worked well with thermosyphon.... for about 1 year. When the tubes got a little bit coated with scale, the thermosyphon stopped. It has had a water pump ever since and has worked flawlessly that way ever since, (30 years). We have always run 50/50 Prestone. The scale I speak of was not excessive and would be considered normal in any radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:41 am:

Sounds like the case I had with my Dodge Dakota pickup. The new aluminum radiator was cooling too well. Took a couple of years before it settled down to allow some retention of heat for me in the cab. :-)
I wonder if there is a point that even with thermo-syphon systems that the radiator cools too well without a thermostat. There is a point between too cool and too hot that the engine needs to be at for proper running. As the thermostat sold for non-waterpump engines is 160 I am guessing that is the minimum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:47 am:

When my radiator cools too well, I slip on my winter front: :-)

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:10 pm:

Going give the new one a try top fill and will just pumb in the hoses for test

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thompson on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 09:07 am:

I have a new aluminum rad. Paid $164.00 including shipping. I have this mounted on an engine test stand, works great. It took some Mickey Mouse plumbing, but it all came out good, and can't beat the price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 10:00 am:

Sounds like a case for the upside-down blind, that you controlled by pulling a chain through a hole in the firewall. Whitney and others sold them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 10:44 am:

Guy at the rad shop said he could move the outlets and i going add a support rod mount at he least

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration