If this is your car, I apologize.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: If this is your car, I apologize.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 12:32 am:

Found on Ebay.....Model TT Ford Volkswagen

I kid you not......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-Flatbed-/331528095805?forcerrptr=true&hash= item4d309d483d&item=331528095805#viTabs_0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 12:53 am:

William-

Although I do not condone the transplant, whoever did it, did a nice job. It looks like the transmission selector is the knob that is hanging down under the dash ? It still has three pedals plus a foot feet. He made good use of the holes in the firewall, too.

Nice craftsmanship.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 12:55 am:

What a beautiful truck! Somebody spent a lot of time and money fixing this old girl up, but lost their entire soul when they decided to make it into some PC friendly freak show. I just don't get it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 06:33 am:

It is ashame that they did this, but I got to say from what was originally posted (and then had picture in my head before clicking the link) and what I saw wasn't to awfully terrible.

I agree they spent a good amount of time doing it, and if they put plain painted exhaust pipes on it, you would almost never know something was up. In fact I am willing to bet that once that thing is started, it probably has a similar clatter to that of a T engine.

Although it is not my cup of T (haha), I think they did a nice job on it for what they were trying to do. My only real complaint is that engine could out power (or out speed) most of the rest of the parts on that TT. Would you really want a TT that can do 65mph with mostly original parts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 06:55 am:

How can it be "Completely Restored" if it doesn't have a "T" powerplant and transmission? that's like saying my 1850 mantle clock is completely restored with a digital movement!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 07:03 am:

If you could get it cheap enough and had a good engine laying around, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to convert it back. The rest of the truck looks really nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 07:28 am:

What's it using for brakes, doesn't seem to much going on in that department!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 07:38 am:

Must have had a high end shop build the whole thing. You would think that anyone with the skill to do all that could also create a reliable original engine instead of that thing under the hood. I agree. Buy it and convert it back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 09:17 am:

I just don't get it. Why didn't they rebuild the original engine instead. ??????????????????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 09:24 am:

I like it. It's a TT truck that you can drive anywhere, any time. and not be in the way, of other traffic.(not 15-25 mph) I would have changed the brakes, to 4 wheel brakes, and used a F100 steering sector.

I see nothing wrong with it. It's another nice looking TT on the roads again, and will turn everyones head to see it.

What's the difference between a Speedster, and this? A speedster uses original drive-train, with sometimes the motor (hopped up), or frame altered (lowered)also. This truck, used everything original except the motor & tranny.

You never know, it could have been a pile of parts, that no one wanted when he got it. Just like my coupe when I got it, headed to the scraper.

I believe that when some one gets a pile of parts, that's headed for the scrapper, or rotting away, they should be able to do what ever they want with it. Hell, it's better then headed to china!

It's a lot better then the '27 Coupe on the hamb, that some guy bought. It's in complete, mint, original shape, running car, with a maybe tie, to the Ford family. He's taking it apart and making a hot rod out of it. I asked if he would use a different body, and I was chewed out by a guy, and then they deleted my post for start trouble.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 11:00 am:

So what is the problem. It is a truck and a truck with a diesel is proper. Besides I doubt a vintage 1925 diesel engine would fit as well in a 1925 T frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 11:14 am:

I think its well done and alot of thinking went into it
Wonder what it feel like driving a tt at freeway speeds
I for one glad seeing it being used and enjoyed
Rod or stock we need get along

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 11:19 am:

I should sell him a Ross steering box and a set of front brakes. Then it would be a quite useful machine. The automatic transmission I get better than the VW diesel engine. I have encountered enough people who really struggle to master the T transmission and we lose them from the hobby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 11:23 am:

If it is capable of higher than average TT speeds (assuming it has high speed gearing), I would be a little hesitant to open it all the way up with original TT steering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 11:24 am:

Dave Wells
I am going to guess that its "home done ". I know enough guys capable of doing something this nice. The seller may have inherited it (my guess), and his wife wants the money!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 11:39 am:

Any ideas of what the paint on the inside may be? It looks a little like the old wrinkle finish paint or am I seeing things? It actually doesn't look too bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 12:02 pm:

If he was closer, I would probably be tempted. Add good steering and front brakes and use it!! Probably could use overdrive as well.
Probably make 40 mpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

When the T trans was just after horses i would think anyone over 6 years old could handle it!!!!!!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

Bud
Even back then some people never mastered it. I recall stories my dad told me about some neighbours.
On the other hand, some people really struggled to convert the other way. When I first got my '27 on the road 40 years ago, I visited some farm friends. Grandpa asked if he could drive it. I said sure, and away we went. He handled it like a "pro" and I learned some good "tricks" from him. His son in law's comment was very telling; "Well that explains why he can't drive a conventional standard worth a darn".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 02:11 pm:

If you want a modern truck buy a modern truck, if you want a Model TT then buy a Model TT and drive it like the way Henry built them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 02:19 pm:

The engine is not the weak point in the common use of a TT. It
is the worm drive rear end. Put a 426 Hemi in it and it will still wind
out at 25mph. Add "high speed" gears and you might get 35. Where
the engineering needs to be invested is in building a rear end that
will scoot along like normal T cars, yet retain the ability to use the
proper wood spoke wheels. Once you have that, you can goose up
your stock T engine to be plenty strong enough to push it AND reliable
to go anywhere with it.

The engine conversion was a waste of time and money, IMO. Not
that I am above doing an engine conversion. It's just that the problem
to be targeted was completely missed and you're still stuck going WAY
slower than the traffic around you.

To steal a favorite phrase: " Ask the man who owns one". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 02:35 pm:

Its funny when you read other car/hot rod forums. They complain about the same things, only they refer to
us as "resto-weenies" or "parade freaks" while we refer to them as "rat-rodders" or "butchers"... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 02:43 pm:

In Moparland, it is "purists" vs. "the mods guys", variably called "rodders"
or less polite terms.

I tend to fall in the middle. I like old cars for their period appearance, so I am
a stickler for keeping a vehicle looking "period". Minor mods to make a vehicle
safer, more reliable, or get up and go better are OK, so long as they do not
interfere with Rule No.1.

Big wheels, bright paint, excessive chrome are a no-go. Not only do they
repulse my interest in the car, but it speaks volumes about the owner. Something
else I am not interested in. Modesty is a virtue. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

VW automatic trans? I am trying to figure out what kind of a VW had an automatic transmission and was rear wheel drive and was not a transaxle.
We know it is NOT a transaxle as it has a Ruckstell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 04:17 pm:

This truck is interesting but I wonder what engine RPM that diesel is "comfortable" at, if it really is much faster than a stock TT without being obnoxious to drive. A small engine that cruises along at 3000rpm will double the speed of the T with the same ratios.

Brakes appear to just use the emergency brakes unless there's something else not visible in the pictures. That part of it does not seem to be well planned out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

My 26 with low gears in high Ruxstell is comfortable at about 18 and wound out at 25.
The cab is rattling and it is not doing the truck any favors. It is the gears that are keeping
the truck speed down, not engine limitations. Putting it into suspended neutral between
high and low (removing the engine and transmission factor) on a steep hill will only allow it
to roll up to perhaps 25 before the shaking gets bad. You could stuff a 8000 horse Cummins
in front of that thing and as long as it has to go through that stock rear end, you won't be
going any faster than that worm allows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

Common TT driveline vibration.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/58162.html?1213727622

The cause is not the worm gear, but the long skinny driveshaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 05:16 pm:

You don't need to apologize William. Mine is the Volkswagon Bug with the model T engine in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 05:27 pm:

Wouldn't be very hard to fix the drive shaft. I would probably copy what Ford did in the '40's (hollow tubing and solid shafts at the ends.
Either that or a "steady bearing " in the middle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 11:06 pm:

Aaron VW Rabbit had diesel and auto. I remember when the 76 station I was working in ,installed a Diesel tank in 1976,We were the only station in BeverlyHills to have diesel fuel. Everybodies favorite actress Jane Fonda always came in for her Rabbit Diesel .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 12:36 am:

I know the ad says VW transmission, but it sure looks a lot like a Ford C4 to me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 12:41 am:

Well, I will admit, it's better than the Model T that was listed a couple of years ago that had been converted into a golf cart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

But George, the Rabbit was front wheel drive with the engine in cross-wise.
The Dasher had the engine the right way, but it had a front drive axle coming out each side of the transaxle too.
I think Les has figured it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

I think the important thing here is that this in no longer a model T, Ford numbered the engines, and that is what was used to title the car (or truck) If the engine is not a T engine, then it is something else, a Tbucket with a chevy engine is certainly not a model T, but every time some one kills him self in one, it goes on record as being a fatality attributed to the Ford Model T. The T frame, driveline and steering was not designed to handle the extra horse power and any time you strengthen one component, you end up weakening another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

Gustaf
I have no argument with most of what you say
But I must disagree with your last sentence. Improving steering or brakes should in no way impact the integrity of the rest of the vehicle

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration