Anyone ever try Flexible Bumper Paint?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Anyone ever try Flexible Bumper Paint?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 01:45 pm:

I have a really nasty and gnarly old Fordite steering wheel and just for fun, I wonder if anyone ever tried painting the ring with the flexible black paint for bumpers? Used it for years on 1970's rubber bumpers and it weathered brilliantly with a nice shine.

Just thinking out loud.

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

There were several postings last year about refinishing the Fordite steering wheels and many guys wet sand them with 1200 grit and it brings them back to life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

I did just that. I started with 220 and finished with a 400 wet sanding. I then used a Rustoluem Semi Gloss Black and it looks and feels great several year later. I really got tired of the Black Hands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

I remember reading those but flex paint is specifically designed for rubber surfaces...just was throwing it out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 05:31 pm:

Sounds like a good idea. If I had a can on hand I'd try it on an old wheel. Any other potential uses? Old tires maybe. Just kidding. But then....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 06:58 pm:

I just use black enamel on them. I don't like the way the original wheel gets sticky when damp from dew or sweat.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 09:10 pm:

The flexible paint for plastic is just normal paint with a flexing agent added to allow the paint to bend when it would normally crack.

The steering wheel is far too firm for flexible paint to be of any use

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration