Front wheel T brakes, several types

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Front wheel T brakes, several types
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 02:49 pm:

I used motorcycle discs and modified the calliper to fit better.
The installation was inspired by the McNerney era design. Thus the custom kingpins and the custom steering arm nut.
I built these about 10 years ago and couldn't get past the disc brake thing. Now I see that disc brakes have become quite accepted, so decided to resurrect these. I added a longer bushing at the top in the "silver solder thread"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

here are some hydraulic drum brakes. Again NO welding to any Ford part!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 02:54 pm:

As part of the disc brakes I also did them for the rear axle as well.
The calliper is "customized" to have mechanical parking as well as hydraulic service in the same caliper.

Just to "terrorize" the purists, this is a T rear axle converted to be "swing axle IRS"!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 03:17 pm:

I guess I had better clarify; I have ZERO interest in making these for resale!!
They were WAY too much work and I know that nobody will want to pay enough.
I just wish to share the design so people might consider making their own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 04:02 pm:

Very nice Les, Your flex shaft will probably be used this summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 05:22 pm:

Paul
So far all the users are satisfied. Only 85 years to go

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

Nice work, Les.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

I really like that hydraulic drum setup.

Nice work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

Les:
the Wilwood site I mentioned in the sure stop posting has several calipers with the parking brake mechanical lever built in ...it looks as though many of the items in their catalog listing may be too big for antique auto braking systems , but the calipers with the parking brake lever look as though they may be suitable ...I believe they were also single piston units ...always an optimist ...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

Gene
Thanks for the info. Not very likely that I will do this again. I will likely stick to front brakes

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration