26 tudor door sill plates

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 26 tudor door sill plates
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 05:49 pm:

anyone have any luck renewing the sill plates (canadian car) Wondering what these were made of, as they are non magnetic.
I would guess they are cadmium coated ?
Mine are in great condition other than they are tarnished. I wonder how panting would work?
I'd like to re use them as the replacement ones are nickel plated, they look out of place to me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

I think they are made of zinc. No plating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

Eddie, I believe they are a Zinc alloy. They do not weld. They appear much like pot metal die cast, but are more maleable.

I could be way wrong!!

If the reproduction ones are nickel plated steel, it would be easy to strip the nickel and have them electro plated in zinc like the wheel rims were.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 07:17 pm:

My 24 Fordor have aluminum sill plates.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

I know the Model A ones are Zinc, so it wouldn't surprise me if the '26 Tudor ones are too--haven't looked at my car in a while, so don't know if the American version has the plates or not.
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 08:28 am:

The "real" ones were stamped from zinc sheet.

Nothing Ford produced for the Model T was cadmium plated. It wasn't produced in volume until the late 30s and early 40s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 08:45 am:

They are definitely zinc. Although I am sure they were bright and shiny coming out of the stamping machine, by the time the car made it to a dealer they were a dull dark gray. The zinc sill plates were not the most common type used on the 26-27 tudor. The ones used on the Model A were very similar, but were slightly wider and will not fit the Model T. Reproductions for the Model A used to be only available in aluminum. I've never seen the 26-27 zinc sill plates for sale as reproductions, and I found mine on eBay from Canada.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 10:15 am:

I wonder how I would go about cleaning them up?
I may try putting them through a dishwasher cycle,..see how that works

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 10:57 am:

Look up Doorsills LLc in NJ. They make a lot of sills. They were next to me in Hershey in the old White Field. Seem to be good people. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

Can a guy clear coat them to retain the shine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

Jim, all you would need then is a plaque requesting that passengers kindly avoid stepping on the sill plates.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 08:53 am:

I think you will find that the zinc sill is naturally porous, so the dull oxide-look cannot be polished out. The dull look extends deeply into the metal, at least compared to the depth of polishing. Any chemical reduction of the surface back to bright metal will not last long. The dull gray look is the natural state of Ford zinc sills.

I can speculate that this is why the sills are made of zinc instead of painted steel or nickel plated brass or steel. The sills take a beating from the bottom of gritty shoes. By using a material that will "repair" its finish back to a factory look for years, Ford avoided having these prominent features look old and worn soon after the car was purchased.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

I think it's safe to say the zinc plates are "proper" in their dull grey state.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

For those that are interested, these zinc door sill plates clean very well if you immerse them in a 20-1 solution of water and sulphuric acid (electrolyte or battery acid. That is 20 parts water. After about 5 minutes they look great

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

They are zinc plated and will buff out really nice. The ones in my 24 Coupe are made of pretty much the same material. I bought a bench mounted buffer and used it to buff and clean up several nickel plated pieces along with the sill plates.
Harbour Freight tools has some good buffers that are reasonably priced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 07:59 pm:

John,

Here are pictures of my zinc sills. they are definitely not zinc plated, but are made of pure zinc. These were NOS, and I buffed them vigorously with a cloth wheel, trying different grades of rouge. They've never been any shinier than is shown in the photos. The zinc seems soft, very easily bent, and dullish down to the bone.

I have never studied 1924 coupe sills, but I would suspect they are plated with a more robust material, such as nickel. There were at least three completely different sill plates used on the 26-27 coupe and tudor, and they are not well documented. The 1926 coupe sills that are very clearly shown in the in the Service Bulletins appear to be made of nickel-plated steel, and they are attached without the use of visible fasteners.

Careful with the acid cleaning. Zinc dissolves quickly in acid. Jim

Jimsill 1sill 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

The original zinc sill plates in my '26 coupe (13,606,xxx)are solid zinc, much like the old zinc jar lids, dusty galvanized in surface appearance, and fasten with tabs that clip into the body. I would not expose these to any acid stronger than white vinegar.

respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 07:17 am:

jb,

Please post a picture of your 26 zinc sills! My tudor is a late 27, and I am interested in how the improved closed bodies changed over the production history. The door sill seems a feature that is only rarely photographed.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 11:54 am:

Jim:

I will contact you by PM, include a photo that you are welcome to post here or use. I have less than two days left in this weekend, it will take me 3 or more days to figure out pix post, and my neighbors will hear all the cursing.

best, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

Jim Mahaffey:

There's a bit of '26 coupe sill plate showing in this post, second pic down.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/530650.html?1429987849

I'll tidy up my pics and send you a PM.

best, jb

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration