And MORE front wheel brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: And MORE front wheel brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

The first McNerney brake drum machined to fit a custom Buffalo front hub that Kevin made for me.
The originals were likely steel, but cast iron works so much nicer as a brake drum

Here is the "famous" shaft that Paul is referring to. Now with 5 years of operation on this design! This is the "engineering prototype" using a original Ford shaft. The production run was all new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 11:57 pm:

Seeing how much the hogshead deflects on the flexible pan while driving that shaft makes so much sense to me right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 12:31 am:

Kep
That was my thought. Consider that on all subsequent designs there is some allowance for deflection
Also I considered all the loose center main bearings and broken crankshafts I have observed in 40 years in the hobby
This seemed like it might have some value
I'm certainly not saying that it will prevent crank failures
However consider that most crank failures occur in the back half of the engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 12:45 am:

Might have to make a shaft like that of my own. Was the outer flange a few thousandths of an inch thicker than the smaller flange the shaft was attached to?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 09:49 am:

Kep
Yes

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration