Running Your Engine With The Trans Cover Off?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Running Your Engine With The Trans Cover Off?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 09:35 pm:

I didn't think it was possible to do this without making a huge mess!..Luckily it looks like the oil is old, thick, and cold...Don't try this at home..:-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBMzauMOg3M

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

Another few minutes and he would have looked like this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 10:05 pm:

Great video! It really shows how effective that oil deflector screen is. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

On one of my T's I have a clear plexiglass transmission cover.

I've run the engine and watched through the plexiglass trans. cover and you would be absolutely amazed to see how much oil is flung around the transmission when the engine is running.

It's a good thing that fellow's oil was thick and he turned the engine off right away, or he would have looked like the picture Ed posted above! :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

Good JOB J.N. LIKE
George n L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

I wonder when was the last time he changed that oil - looks pretty black.

I also noticed that he placed his magnet horizontally. I place mine vertically. Do we need a discussion as to which orientation is best?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 12:39 am:

OK Dave, I'll bite..why do you place your magnet vertically?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 12:50 am:

I think Archie Bunker had it right. Place it Vertizontally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 01:32 pm:

I've run it without the cover. At idle speed it doesn't throw out any oil, but there is a bunch of it moving around! I'm wondering if he's taken the magnets off. Mine moved a bunch more oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

I agree, Jerry. Mine throws a gusher! I found out the hard way!!! It is good to see how well that deflector works. Great video, John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

Horizontal placement would block the flow of oil to the bottom of the screen.

Vertical allows better flow to the bottom, and both sides of the magnet can collect metal filings.

Probably not statistically significant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 08:46 am:

Mine is horizontal like John's. Can someone post a picture of a "vertical" magnet orientation? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

I have just recieved a screen from Macs and it has a TINY round magnet only 8mm Dia. I wonder if this is the new style to address the above concerns

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 01:33 pm:

John, Thanks for the great video. I put one on my 1916 about a year ago. I just wanted it to catch any fillings on the magnet. I did not know about the distributing of the oil. Thanks so much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 03:10 pm:

John, Great video. Just bought one of those deflectors but haven't installed it yet. After watching your video, mine gets installed tomorrow. Thanks. Harv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 03:41 pm:

Just to be clear, i didn't make this vid, some nice gent in Illinois did. I just found it on the inter-web and found it very interesting. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 07:09 pm:

Harvey has yours got the tiny magnet like mine?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration