OT - Don't respond to the spammers!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Don't respond to the spammers!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 11:44 pm:

When the spammers post their cr*p here, please do not add to the thread. When you do, it moves the spam post back up to the top of the forum. If we all ignore them, they will sink quickly to the bottom (where they belong).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 12:21 am:

Why all the hate, Dick ?

Spammers have rights too.

As do the spam lovers. :-)

Did some Nigerian prince not deliver on his promises of
millions to you ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 11:18 pm:

I like spam sandwichs!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 12:28 am:

Made with REAL hooves ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 09:06 am:

Be advised also, they've started a new technique, even on MAC's now too. You go on a website, and out of the blue pops up a "warning" notice about your computer being infected with a dangerous virus that needs immediate attention. You're given an 800 number, usually "855"xxx-xxxx and it'll even mention your computer brand. Very convincing. DO NOT call this number! They will convincingly try to get you to allow them control of your computer to "fix it" and then you're finished! Also, You often cannot close out the website/browser without a "force quit", even if you ignore calling their number.
Just letting ya'll know!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 10:58 am:

For the nontechnical folks, a force quit is holding the power button down for many seconds on a laptop or desktop. CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't work on this sort of spam.

I saw this after clicking on a link for something found by Google.

Did as Tim says and nothing is wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 11:51 am:

I guess I missed the spam or it sounded like something I did not care about.
Just lucky I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

Had the same thing happen to me.... Had bought my HP at Best Buy, and got their WebRoot protection. The pop-up occurred after trying to download an Adobe "update". Couldn't get out of it. Called HP Tech Support. Was told to 'power down' and take it to the Geek Squad. They cleared it out, and informed me that once people had called the number, given permission (along with their credit/debit card number), funds disappeared or charges happened with their account. The pop-up would re-occur again after a few weeks, request repeating the calling of the '800/Fix' number, and the situation continued. The tech I worked with knew of an individual 'taken' for $6500 within two weeks. Be Aware!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

I too have WebRoot installed but I added Spybot and set it up to run in the background. Spybot has alerted me to several "questionable" attacks so far which slipped past WebRoot and my browser's Spam filter. One must stay ever vigilant and resist the temptation to open anything that "smells' wrong.

Dick is 100% correct in his post...If you see something on this forum that looks wrong or (Wong) do not pursue it! Just my $.02 worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

I got a Spam from the IRS, that I owed the Government $88.12 Ignored it and haven't heard a thing.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 08:45 am:

Smart move John, as the IRS will never send an email. Regular certified mail, or a couple of mean looking guys in dark suits standing at your door!!
For any MAC users, as I've learned from Apple, a "Force Quit" on a MAC can be done by clicking on the little apple on the far upper left corner of the screen, then clicking on "Force Quit"-other prompts may follow, I can't remember now. So far haven't had to do it since that last episode with what my wife was into.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 08:58 am:

I routinely get emails on my outlook account about EZ Pass toll charges that are due - they always go to my Junk folder - I just block the sender.

Oh - also Fedex & UPS package delivery attempt notices ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

For those that remember Monty Python :-)

http://www.thesoundarchive.com/play-wav-files.asp?sound=email/spam-x3.wav

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Mokelumne Hill, Calif. on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

Looks like we just picked up a new one.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration