25 year member 1st time posting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 25 year member 1st time posting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 12:38 pm:

Hi, I am Dean Kiefer from Minnesota. Have been a member for a long time.I have 4 grown kids and 10 grand kids. My wife Emily and I have her grandads 1914 T Touring that he purchased new. Dean

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

Dean,

Welcome aboard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

It gets no better than a model T full of kids!!! Nice car! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 01:43 pm:

It's about time. Did the internet finally get to Adams? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 02:22 pm:

Welcome Dad!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

Hi Dean, glad to see you're on the forum . . now you can keep track of what Derek posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

I better start behaving myself. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

Derek, you should have started saturday night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

This is going to be good......

:-)

Welcome

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

Dean, who's that old guy in the car with Emily and the grandkids?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

Welcome Dean! Gorgeous touring and I see you have the grandkids color coordinated. That so you know which of your kids they belong to?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

George, thats a gramma thing but it sure does help.The ones in green are Derek's kids. Dean

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

We have a set of DD's ..... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 10:38 pm:

I think Dean was a cradle robber. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

No, he has just inhaled a lot more paint fumes than Mom has. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

Dean,

Welcome aboard! Great looking car and extended family. A great way to enjoy the hobby.

Caution, if you haven’t read many of the threads yet, I’m one of the guys that is trying to gather additional information about the Ts with the hopes of better understanding how they were produced, sold, used, etc. When you have a chance please take a look at the forum thread “Home for the Holidays” at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/40322.html) . It discusses where to find the body numbers and body maker letters that the independent body companies often but not always placed on the car bodies they supplied to Ford. If you find anything similar to those, would you please let me know what you find?

Also, most of us do not have a lot of history on our cars. But since your touring has been in the family since new, perhaps you have some additional information on when and where it was purchased? I am trying to better document how long was it between the engine serial number being listed on the daily log books of the engine assembly department of the Ford Motor Company and when the car was shipped or sold/delivered. Do you have any information on when your Model T was purchased or delivered? If you have one or both of those dates and if you look up the date the engine serial number is listed Bruce’s book, would you please let us know how long it was between those two dates? And if you know when it was delivered but you do not have easy access to Bruce’s book, please let us know the first three digits of your serial number and we can look up the date in Bruce’s book. I.e. an engine number 440,xxx is listed as either the end of Feb 5 or the beginning of Feb 6 1914 engine log (ref page 580 McCalley). And that is close enough for my research.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Some Additional details:

“Life is seldom Black & White.” Or why the date in Bruce’s list often times was but not always was the date the engine was assembled and even more often is not the date the car was assembled especially as more and more cars were assembled at the Branch Plants.

Bruce McCalley (RIP) documented the information that follows on page 501 of his book “Model T Ford.” The engine log books are complete from 1915 until the end of the Model T engine production in 1941. For the 1913-1914 time frame the daily engine production figures were available. He used those daily production numbers for 1913-1914 to work backwards from the known 1915 starting point. The date that contains the serial number was often the date the engine was assembled. And if the car and engine were both assembled at the main Highland Park factory, then it is possible that the engine was placed in a car the same day it was assembled. But it also could have been place in a car within a few days (especially if it failed the engine test for some reason and was sent back for rework). But if the completed engine was sent to one of the many Branch Assembly Plants, it would normally have been in stalled days, weeks or perhaps even later into an actual chassis.

Some of the engine numbers within any given serial number range may have been sent to a Branch Assembly plant to be stamped onto an engine that was assemble at that plant. In those cases the engine would have almost always been assembled days, weeks, or even months later. For example on Mar 26, 1925 15,000 numbers in the range of 11,272,001 to 11, 297,000 were sent to Manchester, England to be stamped on engines assembled there [ref page 532 McCalley]. All most certainly all of those engines would have been assembled some time after Mar 26, 1925].

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

Hap,
Our Model T was bought new in Adams, Mn by my wifes grandparents only 4 blocks from where I live now. Even shorter distance the way the crow flies. He paid $490. plus $30. shipping for a total of $520. We still have the original bill of sale. The T was ordered on 10-7-14. Delivered 10-22-14
Motor #585493
Cast date 9-15-14
Brass dash Tag #550721
Body "B" Beaudett
Metal Tag under seat 914.208888
Steering Quadrant is the one that was made only for a few weeks. There are 4 or 5 Model T's from the Mn club with that quadrant all built about the same time.
Derek posted pictures of the Ford Dealership and the Bill of Sale back on February 10-15
"Old Photo-1914 Touring at the Ford dealer in Adams, MN."
Dean

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

Dean - Really love your profile picture! We have ya' beat though, with 4 sons, 16 grandkids and 9 great grand kids!

Looking at the "stats" that you posted about the Model "T", when I read,.....Brass dash Tag #550721, I couldn't help thinking about one of the newest dumb "buzz words":

"Brass dash Tag with a "hashtag"

Wasn't that long ago that I learned what "LOL" meant, but I still haven't figured out "hashtag",....I always just thought it was a "pound sign"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

Here is a picture of the dealership where Great Grandpa bought the car.

And the bill-of-sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 05:57 pm:

Dean,

Thank you so much for the additional information. I remember seeing the photo of the 1914 in front of the dealership, but I did not tie it to you and that your car was purchased from that same dealership. Thank you for posting the order form and bill of sale. It is great that you have so much history about your car and even greater that it is still in the same family!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 07:49 pm:

What I wouldn't give to have a bill of sale for at least ONE of my Model T's!! You're lucky Dean & thats a great looking car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

The T actually went out of the family for several years. My wife's grandparent's were both killed in a car accident in 1940 driving a brand new 1940 Ford. They collided in a intersection with a brand new 1940 Dodge gravel truck. The estate sold the T in the later 40's to a man just collecting cars. He never drove it, just stuck it in a barn and left it. We bought it from him in 1990. He said he would not normally sell it, but being it was a grandaughter he would.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration