For 1926-27 Tudor Closed Car Owners - Paint Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: For 1926-27 Tudor Closed Car Owners - Paint Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 02:09 pm:

As I have mentioned in earlier posts, I am preparing my 1927 Tudor to be repainted. As I am stripping it down, it has been repainted several times. It was originally black, then painted light blue, then channel green (which is the color that I bought it), and I will paint it Royal Maroon.

I called Lang's last week asking about the proper material for the windows and Don brought up the fact that all of the cars had standard black dashes, steering columns and front window frames. I failed to ask about the trim around the windows, both sides and the rear. Does anyone know if the trim was painted black or the body color? How about the rear curtain mounts?

I was rather bummed as I think that a maroon dash would look better and may just paint it as such. I realize that it won't be accurate, but I don't plan on it competing for any Stynoski awards. How many of you guys have your dash painted black as opposed to the body color? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 04:38 pm:

Jim, I wasn't sure about the colors either. My dash and side window trim are body color(Royal Maroon). Windshield and back window frame are black. May not be correct, but it looks OK to me. It is a car for driving, not showing. If you haven't already found it, paint codes are here. http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/P-R.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 05:04 pm:

Seems to me we covered this topic before and have had reports of original condition Improved closed cars having dashes painted black as well as the color of the car. Seems to me all the trim was painted black. Whatever you decide to paint it, it is going to look pretty nice though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

Jim,
Here is a picture of my '26 Touring with the body AND dash painted Commercial Green. I agree with you. It looks better to paint the dash to match the body.

I think Henry was just saving money.

Regards,
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

A '26 touring could have a body color dash OR black.
Early '26 tourings (all open cars) were all black, later ones came in other colors, at least green. Coulda had a black dash though.
A '27 touring could have been any color Ford offered.
I painted the dash in my '26 touring green. I wish I had painted it black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, April 20, 2015 - 10:40 pm:

I '27 car that came out of the factory black was most likely a special order car for someone's fleet, although they did say in late '27 that you could have any body style any color Ford offered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 01:02 am:

Why do you regret painting it green, Aaron?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

Thanks for the link, John. There is a lot of good information listed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Voss on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

My 27 tudor came gray with a gray dash. The window trim came black on all windows. This car had been parked in the thirds by my Grandfather.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration