Back in the Day

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Back in the Day
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlesHebert on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 07:38 am:

Weatherford, Texas. Around 1910 according to the phto. Don't you wish it was all that simple today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom VanMeeteren Valley, Nebraska on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 08:00 am:

When does the lawn service show up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

It's still out in the pasture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 05:58 pm:

the car on the right is a 1910 overland mod 38, 25 hp 102" wheel base.what happen to the frt fenders? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

Charley -- Must've had a photo shoot with a fat girl just before taking this pic. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

The car on the left looks like a 3-wheeler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

No... I see 4 wheels, but is it a chain drive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

Building stood on the corner of US 180 and S. Elm St. There's an abandoned service station there.

No evidence of this building that I could see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

Front fender repair must be where Grafft comes into play... someone "lifted" the irons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

From the look of those front fenders on the Overland there can be only one explanation. It a rare example of an early brake system that didn't work out. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

the rad on the car on the left looks like nrs ford to me i think i see the water pump.but i might be wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 06:44 am:

Charley,

It is really hard to tell what type of car it is based on the low resolution photo, the people standing in front of parts we would like to see, and with the body apparently removed for some reason.

I'm not sure what the object is at the lower part of the radiator. But looking at the front axle it appears to me to have fully elliptical springs on both sides of the axle. The NRS&SR had a single semi elliptical spring (same part as the 1909-1915 Model Ts). But there were after market accessories to convert the NRS&SR to have the two fully elliptical springs on the front axle. It also appears to me that the radiator is arched across the top rather than having the angles the NRS&SR had. And the NRS&SR used the same steering wheel as the 1909 Fords. I would guess Maxwell 1909-11ish similar to the one below – but that is only a guess. [Photo from: Brass Auto at: http://www.brassauto.com/brass-pages/Images/10%20MaxwellAA2.jpg ]

And either of us or both of us could easily be wrong about the original photo.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

Hap,

Do I see, (and do you see), the telltale "trap door" on the side of the hood? I think I do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

Jerry,

This is similar to some of the illustrations where you can see many different things depending on what you are thinking. From the web site at: http://www.grand-illusions.com/opticalillusions/woman/ they have an illustration by W.E. Hill that was published in 1915. Do you see "young lady" looking to her right away from you?

And do you also see the old lady in the illustration above?

In the case of the original photo, the quality leaves much to our imagination. Yes, I think I could say I see the outline of a door on the side of the hood. But I also think it might be a reflection etc. It just isn’t very conclusive which is why I qualified my comment with “guess.” Also why I shared that one or both of Charley’s guess of an N,R,S, SR and my guess of a 1909-11 Maxwell might be correct or they both might be wrong.

“IF” the photo clearly showed a curved top radiator then it would not be a N,R, S,or SR. But I cannot really tell for sure. It looks more curved to me that angled like the N,R,S, or SR. But while I cannot see the shape of the steering wheel, and I cannon make out for sure the shape of the top of the radiator I can make out that the radiator neck is very short and is not one that was used on the N, R, S, or SR car [or if it was – we need to document one more style that was used]. But note in the original photo how low the radiator cap is to the radiator.

If someone wants to label it as a N,R,S, SR chassis I can’t say definitely it is not one. I can say definitely it is not a stock N,R,S, SR chassis as I believe we can see the full elliptical springs on each side of the front axle. And we know Ford did not offer them that way. But as mentioned above, we also know that some after market suppliers offered them as an accessory.

I won’t go into depression if someone finds a higher resolution photo and it turns out to be a N,R,Sor SR chassis (and with what appears to be running boards – only the R,S, or SR chassis). Actually I’d be happy – as I would just like to know for sure. But based on the limited number of things I can make out, I believe this may be one of many that we will not know for sure until a better copy of the photo is located. And even then we many not know for sure. I still remember the Triumph TR-2 with the MG sedan grill and hood that I saw once. If some one tried to figure out a low resolution photo of that “owner produced body work” it would cause a lively discussion. And thank you for pointing out what appears to be an outline of the inspection door on the side of the hood. If it is an inspection door – then the Maxwell may be out of the running completely -- unless they had such a door on one of their models?

Again thank you for all your support to our hobby and for all you hard work on leading the restoration project on the Model N at the Piquette Plant.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

i am glad the overland was easy. i think there is another headache coming on.charley

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration