What year range is my frame?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What year range is my frame?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 12:54 am:

I'm going through my parts hoard getting pieces together for my low budget speedster project, and this is the frame that I have. Can anyone tell me approximately what year it is, and will my 1926 engine mount in it without a bunch of remodeling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 02:37 am:

From what I could see in the photos, it doesn't have rivet holes in the side rails that would fasten the earlier cast running board brackets. Thus it would use the 1 piece channel running board brackets. That plus the front motor mount (if original to the frame) would indicate 1920- 1925. A 26-27 engine would fit in the frame with no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 03:06 am:

Dennis about has it, the only other thing I can think of is, if the hand brake quadrant is held on with 2 rivets, not 4, then it's 1925.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

You'll also need some extra heavy bracing for that axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 05:12 pm:

Thanks for the info. No kidding on that Axle. I had to use the tractor to move it there. I used to have it, and the other wagon axle that you may be able to see, set up with some old weathered wood and a bunch of rusty cans and whatnot, so that it looked like a derelict wagon in the corner of the yard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 06:09 pm:

Just an update on the frame rails. I took a look at my extra frames and it jogged my slow memory. The cast running board bracket holes were continued along with the mounting holes for the channel type brackets until sometime in 1923. After that the 3 side holes for the cast brackets were eliminated. Ford probably stamped both type bracket mounting holes so replacement frames could be used on the earlier cars. So, your frame dates from sometime in 23 through 25 depending on the brake quadrant mounting holes as Frank noted.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration