What year are these front U bolts?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What year are these front U bolts?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 09:03 am:

What year would you say these are?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 10:21 am:

The factory number for this part is T-325. There were 3 versions of it, designated A, B and C. T-325A was used on the first 2500 cars and was declared obsolete in 1910. The overall length of the bolt is 3-15/16; the length of thread is 1", and the distance from the cotter pin hole to the top of the flat part that "connects" the two threaded shanks is 3".

T-325B, which replaced this part, is 4-1/16" long overall; threaded for 1-1/8", and the threaded shanks (measured as for T-325A) are 3-1/16". This last measurement is most critical for dating this part: On 5-17-12, it changed to 3-1/8"; on 4-4-14 it changed to 3-5/32"; three months later it changed back to 3-18", and on 10-19-17 to 2-7/8" when the 6-leaf spring was specified. T-325C (specified on the same date) is used with the 7 leaf spring only and the measurement stayed at 3-1/8" until 8-17-20 when it changed one final time to 3-7/32".

There will now be a 5 second pause while everyone says "Who cares???"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 10:24 am:

Sorry; the last sentence got left out somehow: "So to answer your question precisely, you'd have to remove the bolts and measure the distance from the cotter pin hole to the top surface of the little "bridge" that "connects" the two threaded shanks."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 10:32 am:

That spring clip is 1920 and earlier. The cap should be held on by bolts, not studs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 10:49 am:

Looking again in the parts book, I see that spring clip is the term Ford used for the U-bolts. So what is the proper term for the piece they attach to, and where is it listed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 11:00 am:

Part no. 3076 Crank Case Front Frame Bearing is shown in the "Motor Parts" section of the 1916 parts list in my hand at this moment. Hope that this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 11:08 am:

Very good. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

Although not period correct for my 23 coupe, I like it. I want to paint my front springs. I have 7 leafs in my spring set. I am concerned that if I removed the u bolts I will not be able to get it back together. I am pretty sure they do not make replacement u bolts.... Does any one have a set that is extra or suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 01:19 pm:

Steve you are correct. Nuts, not studs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 01:59 pm:

Actually Scott, I think Steve meant bolts, not nuts or studs. Anyone confused yet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

Thank you R.V. Anderson. This info came at the perfect time for me!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration