1915 roadster door stop?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1915 roadster door stop?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 11:14 am:

I seriously doubt that Ford used a piece of OD webbing. The very short tacks holding this pulled loose, so I may as well replace it with something at least resembling the real thing. What would that be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

This is what was available from suppliers in 1985 and what was in my '14.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

Don't know if leather or cotton webbing is correct for 1915.

RV Anderson would be the expert.

I know that for 1917, cotton webbing was used and RV sells accurate reproductions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

One of our vendors lists: "Original style for open cars. Blackened cotton web...1915-1922."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Wightman on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

Steve, The strap you have is off of a WWII parachute set up, possibly a T-5 or T-7 model. Perhaps the former owner was WWII Air Force or WWII Airborne, or a rigger. Or it snagged there on an earlier bail-out the door!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

Tip on mounting Model T leather products: whether it's a crank holder, early door stop or top tie down straps; soak them overnight in Neet's Foot Oil or something similar otherwise they'll crack before the next tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

Steve I think the touring front strap should be the same. I took some pics of our 16 with a leather strap and I will get my friend to post as soon as I can. I got the strap soaking in vegatible glycerine that will soften leather from what I read on internet it already started to crack from opening door but maybe it can be saved. I read neets foot oil is not good for leather. I dont know but glycerine is food grade it ts used in cosmetics so it cant hurt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 12:01 pm:

Since either cotton or leather could be correct for '15, look under the door and kick panels for screw holes about 1-1/4" apart in the pillars. They would be for the footman loop that secured the leather strap. If there aren't any screw holes, then your car originally used cotton webbing nailed to the pillars under the panels. I make the correct cotton straps so if you need one let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

I own a '15 touring with a documented history. Here's a pre-restoration photo taken in 1983. That looks like leather to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

Bruce,

Looks like an owner repair to me. The original check strap would have been nailed in place below the upholstery, then the upholstery installed over it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 02:57 pm:

Hmmm. Could be. These photos were taken by the third owner when he bought the car from the second owner, who did the barn find. Here's a photo of the front door with what looks like the same strap attachment, although it's hard to make out. I also have photos taken by the first owner when the car was new, but none show an open door in detail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

I don't know whether this is correct, but for what it's worth, here's the check-strap on the front door of my '15 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

R.V. Anderson talked about 1915 door check straps in this 2014 thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/440249.html?1398300550

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

Pics of 16 touring straps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

Steve these pics. are from our 16 touring built late 15 I dont think they were ever touched since put on by ford in dec. 1915. I think it should be the same. on your car. the pics on car are front door the one with the bar on it is front it may not look like it in pics. but I think all are the same size. they all are diff. texture leather all from diff. cows I guess.I cracked the front one by opening door but after soaking in veg. glycern they are getting pretty soft.the brass screws were snug but bent that strap takes a lot of abuse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 10:50 am:

I bought mine from Russ Furstnow. They are cut to the right size, and just need to be installed. What could be easier? Of course you will need the screws and countersunk washers to go with them. If you need the sizes contact me.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration