Information on installing a oil damn in a three dip pan

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Information on installing a oil damn in a three dip pan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 03:41 pm:

I was lucky to buy a pan for my 1911 Torpedo project at Chickasha and I would like to install a oil damn . I read how to do this somewhere but can't remember were . Does any one know were I can get information on how to do this .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

Terry Horlick did a lot of work checking out oil dams and posted quite a bit of info.

I installed one on my '12 Torpedo. Make sure you drill a couple of holes to allow the oil to drain out after you stop so that any crud doesn't get trapped there. You also have to check your clearance for the rod throw. I have a Bill DuBats counterbalanced crank which I had to adjust for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 04:56 pm:

This one turned up with a 16 I had bought, simple to do if you have a spare inspection plate to cut a dipper out of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 06:29 pm:

Frank -- That's pretty slick!

Perry -- If you do any welding on your pan, be sure to have it straightened afterward. The welding will warp it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright from Central NC on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 06:50 pm:

now fellas... help me out here. I am putting a 3 dip engine back together and I was planning on on putting dippers on the rod caps to aid in oiling. will the dipper on rod #4 hit the bottom of the pan if it doesn't have a dipper welded in? Sorry for the only kinda related question

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 07:37 pm:

Nathan, There is nothing there to dip into but no.4 rod gets all kinds of oil from the flywheel, the one I would worry about is no.1 rod pulling hills!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright from Central NC on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

okay. but im good to put dippers on all four rod caps right? im not going to run into any clearance issues right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

Yes, all 4 dippers and no clearance issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

Nathan -- No clearance issues, but as Joe said, there is nothing for the 4th rod's dipper to dip into. I don't know whether it does any good or not, but I put dips on the 4th rod out of habit. Maybe it will scoop up some of that "oil fog" that's floating around in there. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

Here is the link from Terry Horlick, from older post with details on his 'mountain pan' for the 3 dip crankcase.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/304927.html?1344799117

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 01:05 am:

I agree that you must straighten your pan AFTER you braze your dam in place!

Terry Horlick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration