OT Another Huge Controversial Ships Cargo Visits Our Harbor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Another Huge Controversial Ships Cargo Visits Our Harbor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 11:14 pm:

The protestors came in force to see Shell's Polar Pioneer drilling rig anchored in Port Angeles Harbor. They drove here from all over the state in their gasoline powered cars and rowed the harbor in their plastic boats and waving their plastic flags.

The 400 foot tall rig is setting on the The Blue Marlin which carried the USS Cole across the Atlantic to the U.S. after the Cole was badly damaged by a terrorist attack in Yemen that killed 17 American sailors in October 2000.polar pioneer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 11:25 pm:

Where are the Gun ports?..:-)

(Message edited by Jp_noonan on April 22, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 12:21 am:

Some people earnestly believe that the world will one day be
all about love and not about money. Yeah ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 08:32 am:

That is a amazing site. I hope it is headed up North to find us some oil.

Some people live in a dream world.
Just yesterday I was driving down the road and 1 of them Toyoda electric things pulled right out in front of me. I coulda sworn yellow and blue flower pedals flew out the tiny tailpipe as the driver gave it all it had to get out of my way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 08:43 am:

Yesterday was Earth Day so to celebrate, I spent all day on the gas powered dozer, ripped out tons of cactus, worked on the driveway then burned a couple of tires. :-)

I'm always willing to do my part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 09:03 am:

looks like those kayakers were up early, must be a starbuck's around so they can get their 10.99 soy milka dilka lattes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 09:15 am:

Back in about 1983 I was aboard the USS Ranger CV-61 (aircraft carrier). We made a port call to Vancouver, B.C. We were greeted by a few of those protesters while we were pulling into the bay. The carrier was to large for any of the piers in Vancouver, so we had anchor out in the bay and ride ferry boats to get back and forth from the ship. One of those protesters thought he would prevent us from visiting Vancouver by placing his motorized rubber raft under our anchor. The Skipper got on the intercom and asked them to move, they refused so the skipper began counting down, when he reached zero he gave the command to drop anchor! The protesters were picked up out of the water by the police but their raft went to the bottom!

Vancouver, is a great city! It was one of the best port visits I ever made. The people of the city treated us fantastic! We never saw the protesters again after we dropped anchor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 09:42 am:

Chicken feed, Ken. The president spent way less time than that on Air Force One so he could mutter a few platitudes in the Everglades and burned over 9,000 gallons of jet fuel..... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Anderson on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 11:07 am:

One of the biggest challenges for me in belonging to this hobby is the attitude of a lot of members towards big government and the EPA. I bet that most of you, at least recently, have not been outside this country. If you were to visit countries without your dreaded EPA, you would be revolted by the local environments. The waterways are so filled with trash and pollutants that you can practically walk across them. As you walk along the sidewalk (if there is one), you will be assaulted by the stench of raw human waste in the storm drains. And look above you. You will never see a blue sky. It is constantly obscured by a haze caused by air pollution. Want a simple drink of water? You have to go buy one. Water that is fit for human consumption can only be bought in plastic bottles.
If you go to these countries without EPAs, bring along your children and grandchildren. So they can see the world that they will live in if you had your way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 11:31 am:

Robert,

I haven't read one reference made here to the EPA, (except yours of course). Most postings were apparently meant to flag the hypocrisy of those who protest and rally to the "earth cause". I also don't believe any posts slammed any government agency but instead lampooned the perceived fanaticism of individuals and/or non-governmental groups.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 11:32 am:

Mr. Anderson,

I think the rub is not the EPA's work or environmentalism in general, ...
it is that the EPA and American environmentalism HAS made a big difference
and now they want to put the clamps on tighter YET much of the rest of
the world is just as you describe ... a #@! cess pool and no one makes
an effort. So naturally, the question is asked: "Why do WE get hit with
all the costs and bother and everyone else is free to piss in the punchbowl ?"

I know exactly what you are talking about in smogged out skies, trash,
and raw sewage. The world could use about 3/4 less population and a
mandate to clean up it's own mess, but the Nazi's proved you cannot
legislate compliance to another's ideals and that eradication will not
make issues go away. And the truth be told, most humans ARE little
more than animals who will live in their own filth. Hell, I was just in a
house yesterday doing a plumbing repair that had old food and rat sh!t
everywhere amongst the mountains of trash and clothing and dirt. These
people lived like pigs, and the world is FULL of them !!! So, whaddya
gonna do, sweet talk them into caring ? Fine them if they don't ? Haul
them off in cattle cars to a smoldering end ? And then what ? The world
won't just make more ? That IS what humanity looks like ! Not some
vinyl sided plastic Disneyland gated community. That's it. People been
trying to change it forever and look where it's gotten us.

Unless directed to be some sort of omnipotent dictator, I have too few
years, a minor shortage of funds, and a whole lot less energy to throw at
saving the world from a population that only cares about getting by in the
moment, and I leave it at that. Most older folks have a more vocal resentment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 11:33 am:

Robert, I feel a tear welling up in my eye.....NOT!

If the EPA had it's way they would ship all of humanity to the Moon to protect "Mother Earth".

Enviro-Nazi's will be the downfall of this great Nation!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

If we truly want to "save the world" ... the meaning of which is a murky "make
things more like I remember them in the 'good old days'", then the bottom line
is a simple math equation of too many people and a hard drive level attachment
to tribalism. Cut the population to 1890 levels, and persuade "everyone" to see
the world as a common "community" and the rest falls into place.

Let me know how that works out ... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

To Robert Anderson - I have been to about 16 countries. Two of them were dirtier than the USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 07:13 pm:

Robert, most of California's pollution comes from China.But yet, folks in california get screwed by crazy rules.
2 weeks ago I bought a 2009 Poulan Prolink trimmer with tiller attachment at the junk yard for 20 bucks.
I bought a carburetor for 20 off ebay for it. It is setup for california emissions requirements. Which means instead of having a 17 inch cutting path,I had to trim the lines to 14. Once the warranty is out on the carb, I can use the Dremel tool to cut slots in the crazy adjusting screws so I can richen the mixture that 1/4 turn it needs to run with the 17 inches of line.
So how is that helping the environment to make those folks take more time to trim their lawns? But where did the rules come from that caused all that? EPA

The Epa and other segments of government were established for good reason. But certain folks use the power of those groups for control of the economy instead of for the good of the people. In other words,they cause resources to be scarce, hard to retrieve. Repairs on machines to be expensive and so forth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

We the people have paid 5 million dollars, to fly Obama, and his family, dog & friends in different airplanes, for Vacations only. Why not the same plane, to save emissions & cost. And he tells us to tighten our belts, and cut emissions!

What's wrong with that picture?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

Work with me here ...

I own a 1958 DeSoto Fireflite convertible. Tips the scales at 5400lbs. Pushed down
the road with a 4bbl 383. At factory as-built specs, knocked down 10-12mpg.

Now, let's keep in mind that this car was built TEN years before the USGOV decided
to mandate emissions controls and fuel economy.

From 1968 until the present day, the EPA and auto industry have invested TRILLIONS
of dollars in R-and-D to build cars that meet the ever-tightening GOV restrictions.

Are we tracking here ? :-)

And then there is me .... I have a couple-thousands R-and-D budget and through asking
motorhead friends and other engine builders, I bumped this, changed that, and managed
to pull 17.44mpg over a 3500 mile road trip. With a further tweaking of a modern 5-speed
manual, specially geared to match a further raising of rear end ratios, a fuel injection system
(1958 DeSoto was the first U.S. car to offer electronic fuel injection) I expect to knock down
close to 30.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, large car offerings by the U.S. mfr's. like Expeditions and
Escalades and Suburbans are offering 10-15mpg with all those TRILLIONS of "EPA" dollars
invested.

Are we still tracking ?

I may not know a thing about industrial air scrubbers or hydrocarbon counts, but I do know
that my "gas guzzling 50's tank" can haul six people in comfort (and style) close to three times
as far as what the USGOV has "mandated" new car makers produce as a comparable hauler.

This ain't about clean air or anything else except money. Perhaps the idea started out as a
good one, but it has become a backdoor moneymaker for many friends of those in government.

When the gub'ment tells me (the public) that WE need to tighten our belts, all I feel is contempt
for the scam that is being played on all of us. Make Al Gore sell his jet. Let Mrs. O'bama take
the brats to the city park for vacation, and let the Secret Service take a vacation while they take
that stroll. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

The world will still be here once the scourge that is the human race brings about its own extinction. I've traveled to 2 or 3 "third world" countries. Oh well!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 07:20 am:

The problem is they have achieved what they needed to achieve, but they have become addicted to the large paycheck. Now it's time to create a new "Sky is falling" scheme so they can perpetuate their cushy job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 09:20 am:

Sorry,Burger - the 1958 DeSoto was not the first US car to have fuel injection. It was a factory option on the 1957 Corvette. I had one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:30 am:

According to (I hate to see a thread as important as this drift back to automotive posts) Mr. (or Mrs.) Wiki, the first gasoline fuel injection system was used in 1902, and the first automotive electronic injection system on an Alfo-Romeo in 1940:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_injection

Anyone wish to know what automobile employed the first production capacitive discharge ignition (CDI) system?

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:33 am:

Ah, but the Rochester unit for the Corvette was a mechanical system.

The Bendix Electrojector system on the DeSoto was an electronic, sequential port injection system very similar to modern port injection systems. Unfortunately, it was very unreliable due to the very early state of the art of electronics at the time. :-)

http://www.allpar.com/cars/desoto/electrojector.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

Rob,I'll ask Dean Yoder!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

Mark Strange nailed it. The Bendix system was electronic.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration