Radiator Overflow Issues

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Radiator Overflow Issues
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By henry h on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 08:31 am:

I have a question about the overflow on a non-brass radiator. On mine, the overflow ends just below the threads on the cap fitting, which seems normal. But, capping the lower end of the overflow and blowing air into the top end shows bubbles inside the upper tank just above the tank bottom. I guess the bad news is that is not supposed to happen?

If not, can the overflow be de-soldered and replaced? Is it one continuous piece going through the upper tank bottom?

I would like to avoid replacing the radiator if possible.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 10:37 am:

Henry, I removed and re-solderded my overflow this winter. It is one tube and takes some fiddeling to get it out and back in. It has several bends inside. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 10:37 am:

Henry,

Yes, it's one continuous tube and you should be able to replace it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 10:45 am:

Water level in a T radiator should be one to two inches above the top of the core. Not "filled all the way to the top". If you fill your radiator to the proper level, does it leak?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By henry h on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 11:04 am:

Thanks for the responses. It does leak back into the overflow and onto the ground. What is the tubing material and size?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 11:33 am:

I think the tubing is either brass or zinc coated steel. Take a file to it and see what it looks like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 07:28 pm:

A piece of 5/16 copper tubing will make a replacement pretty quick.It has a lazy "Z" bend in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By henry h on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 07:50 pm:

I am trying to understand how the overflow is sealed in to the upper tank. Is the overflow soldered in? - there seems to be some sort of flare to it. Apparently the overflow has a pinhole on the inside of the upper tank, causing it to leak out through the overflow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By henry h on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 12:49 pm:

Does anyone recognize the serial plate as to who the manufacturer might be? That would help to understand how it is fastened through the tank.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

Henry,
That looks like a nice radiator. I suspect your overflow tube has a split in it; it happens! It is just soldered in, and that flare is just a very nice solder job, I think. Now to give yourself some "insurance" in removing & replacing it, I would fill the radiator with water, face down like you show it now, so the water just fills the core area. This will provide a heat sink to keep the solder for the core from melting any while you are desoldering and resoldering your overflow tube.
Looking at the tube running down the side of the core, it was most likely also soldered in a few places to the side plate, not just "in the air" like it is now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 01:10 pm:

Henry, go back to Adam's reply. He states "Water level in a T radiator should be one to two inches above the top of the core."

I have 4 T's. On each of them if I "fill all the way to the top" they will all spit & gurgle until the radiator barfs the excess, then when the proper level is reached the barfing stops.

Could you possibly be over-filling the radiator?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration