Wheel adapters

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wheel adapters
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Johnny Parker on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 09:28 am:

Anyone using wheel adapters to mount wire wheel, either A or T to wood hubs. I see Lang's p/n 2888A or 2888T. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 10:16 am:

I purchased a set for Model T wire wheels for wood hubs. My wire wheels are at the powder coaters as we speak, so I haven't installed them yet. They appear to be well made. I should have them installed in a week or two, I can send you an update then. I believe I saw them advertised in the "Vintage Ford", perhaps by the actual manufacturer??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 10:24 am:

I recently purchased and installed a set. They worked well and I am pleased.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 04:04 pm:

We're making a set for a friend.
If he was going to get socked shop rate the ones Lang's is selling are priced right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Johnny Parker on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

Is anyone using Model A wheels with the adapters?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

I bought Model T wire wheels. If you want to use Model A wire wheels you will want 21 inch, 1928 (29??) wire wheels. Same tire size, different bolt pattern, hence different adapter, but same concept. Besides the different bolt pattern model A wheels ha e additional ribs. The differeces between A and T wire wheels is not that noticeable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

I am using the 28-29 A wheels with adapters from Langs. The A wheels are cheaper and easier to find so I went that route. Got 5 wheels with useable tires and tubes at Chickasha for 200 bucks so it turns out the T parts dealer who didn't bring the wheels I'd asked him to bring actually did me a favor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

Took this photo on tour last fall.

Model A wheels on this T with adapters.

Now don't know much about adapters, but most are thick and present an offset to the road contact and spindle relationship.

While jawing about T's the owner noticed the oiler was missing from the spindle. We all gazed and saw that not only the oiler, but the top of the kingpin was MIA!

Only a stub of the kingpin was in the upper yoke, good golly lucky before something bad happened.
Owner hauled the T back on trailer, found a replacement kingpin, and was back on the road the next day.

Only mussing, but could the offset of adapters put a larger load on the upper portion of the kingpin?

The factory design of T wires and the T wire wheel front hub is a taper fit to into the long nose of the wire hub. That gives a proper support to the wire wheel outboard where the lateral load occur when underway and turning sharp curves.

T wire wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 06:44 pm:

I have A wheels on my T speedster. Work fine. Check lug tightness after driving a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

I have installed a set using A wires and seeking a pair 2 not a set of 4 vendors only sell in 4's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 01:18 am:

sets of 2 would be a nice option

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Johnny Parker on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 08:31 am:

Thanks everyone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 09:38 am:

Dan, I sure don't know but it seems the thickness of the adapter is roughly equal to the thickness of the spokes. That is if you are going from wood wheel hubs to A wires like I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:14 pm:

If i remember right the tire width was close i dont this the tad bit wider or narrower will hurt and this kingpin failed for another reason or this would be more common
Anyone tell me how thick the new ones are if remember about 1/2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

The wood to wire are thicker than that. I'm not where I can measure but from memory more like 1 1/4 to 1 1/2. Seems as I recall the bolts for mounting the drums to the adapters to be an inch or more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

Checked. One inch thick.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration