High/Low band return spring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: High/Low band return spring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne johnson on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 03:05 pm:

Changing my bands and thought I would replace the return springs while I had it all apart. I can't figure out how to get the shaft out of the high/low to replace the spring. Do I need to drive out the notch pin so it will come out? Should I just leave the original one in? Don't really want to take a short cut or get lazy but I want it back together. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 03:39 pm:

Wayne,

You don't need to remove the pedal shaft. Just unscrew/remove the low band adjuster, (threads through the transmission cover), and that will let the band end move over enough to slide the spring off and put the new one on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne johnson on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 04:08 pm:

It doesn't move over enough to clear it. I can't get the old spring off. I'm racking my brain on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gelfer on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

You may have to compress the spring a bit to remove/install it. The new one will probably need quite a bit of squish to get it installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

Not on early trans. covers, Jerry.

The slo-speed shaft goes INTO the low band adjuster and holds the spring captive. Other than cutting the shaft shorter to use detachable ear bands (which can be a hassle in itself due to clearance issues between the trans. cover and band ear) or do as you thought Wayne and remove the notch pin and replace. I'm assuming you have the trans. cover off ? The spring just won't go through the low band adjuster hole in the cover !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne johnson on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

Thanks Steve, that is exactly my problem. It is off and I have given it a few good whacks with a hammer and punch it did not budge either way. I have decided to leave that spring alone. I do have the detachable ears, I didn't know it until I started the project. But I figured what the heck, I've never seen inside and as long as I was at it, I'd open it up. Glad I did, even thought it is probably a longer project. Going to attempt to put it back together now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

While you have the cover off, it would be time well spent by shortening the slo-speed shaft to I believe, 7/8" and replacing the low band adjuster with the later style adjuster that just has the short projection on it to hold the band ear. Easy to replace the spring then as you should replace all with new lining.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 07:49 pm:

And if you have the cover off check the condition of the pedal shafts and the slow speed notch. Same goes for reverse and the brake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 05:39 am:

I am going to go against the popular advice and advise you to NOT cut off the low pedal to update to an unsupported shaft. The assumption is that it will make changing bands easier next time. Will there even be a "next time"?

Well, with an aluminum hog's head and a low pedal now supported only on the left side, you're going to induce a lot of wear on the bushing that the shaft goes through...the pedal will want to twist as it rotates in normal use.

I'll bet that even with the modification, changing removable ear bands "the next time" will be extremely difficult due to lack of extra clearance in the aluminum hogs head, and if you do succeed, you'd distort the bands considerably which with Kevlar is BAD.

On the other hand, you'll probably never have to replace your bands again, which makes the modification to the low pedal shaft a moot point anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 07:26 am:

I could buy that argument.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration