New Model T owner

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New Model T owner
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 03:11 pm:

My first Model T arrived last Friday. It is a 1920 runabout in good condition. It has had a frame off restoration, a rebuilt engine, transmission, and drive train, a new radiator, seats, top and wheels. It starts right up and I can't wait to learn to drive it. I have always wanted a Model T since I was a teenager in the 60's. In fact I could have bought two restored T's for $700.00 each, but didn't. I regret being talked out of it. Now I have one and have been reading the forum getting ideas and a wealth of
information. Last summer the MTFCI had their annual tour in Boone, N.C. Living close enough to go I went and drooled over every one of the more than 200 T's there. It was a great experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 03:34 pm:

You didn't see the WARNING sign, "Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter Here?"
Too Late. . . . You are now one of the "Brethren."
Over at the Monastery (T-Monk's house), the choir is warming up to sing you "A Mighty Magneto Has the Ford" (A Power ever-failing).
Welcome, and be glad we don't do "immersion" just wheel dipping. . . .
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

I hope you have room for all the spare parts that just show up. Nobody knows why they end up in your garage, basement, attic, bedroom, etc. At least that's what I tell my wife.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 05:26 pm:

Thanks, Dean and David. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I am getting to know the old T a little at a time. Before you know it I will be able to crank out a few tunes of my own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

David, welcome to the addiction. And to add to what Dean, said, make more room for at least 1 more T. I said one was enough, I made it ten years, and now have another.

Buy the "bible" Model T owners manual if you don't have it, it tells you a good portion of what your going to want to know as well as how to take the car apart. Of course, if you have questions, even if it is simple, just feel free to ask, plenty of experience here on the forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 05:58 pm:

Don't forget, T-Monk has always offered to accept the object(s) of your addiction and give them a safe place at the Monastery, just to relieve you of the addiction! Yeah Chad! There IS SALVATION, my friend!!
Donations to the Orphan's Fund always appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

David, I would urge you to check with the previous owner to see if when rebuilding the drive train they replaced the babbit spacers with bronze. If they did not you should. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

Chad, I have Ford Service An enlarged reprint of the 1928 Model T Factory Service Manual. Right now one T is enough. It's all I have room for and I am living the dream I have had since a teenager. James, Thanks for the advice. I will see if I can check on that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

Here's what Jim has in mind. I agree. Do ask the previous owner.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 10:30 pm:

Welcome to the affliction!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

Thanks, Steve. Good information. The rebuild was done before the previous owner, but I will try to track down the owner who had the rebuild done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 11:44 pm:

Welcome,David!

Have fun and show us some pictures.

: ^ )

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:18 am:

Congtats David. Those years of Runabouts are some of my favourites, got a 1919 Runabout myself. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of yours. Besides room for spare parts, also set aside some space for all those special tools that can't be used on anything else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

David, Heed all who spoke of the babbit thrust washers. In my ignorance, I rebuilt mine with good babbit thrust washers. All was good until I checked the oil in the rear end and found a gooey silvery mess. Fortunately I had a mentor; Riley Player, to tell me what had happened and all was rectified with bronze thrusts. Show us some pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 09:51 pm:

Thanks for all of your advice. I am trying to download a picture. I can't seem to do it yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

To post a picture from a Mac, just make a copy of your photo, open it, click Tools at the top of the screen, and click Adjust Size. Adjust the height until Resulting Size shows 250 KB or less, then click OK. If you're stuck with Windows/Paint just type photo resize in Google and use one of the free resizing websites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 09:17 am:

Steve, since your a MAC Pro, here's one for you, as attempted on my new IMac... I did the same re-size thing as you mentioned, changed the pixels to where "it" said it was changed to something around 170-ish (can't remember exactly), posted it- (this was my post about polishing the brass oilers) and it was rejected as being too large. Checked its size, and here it was around 300 KB! Tried next size pixels down, similar thing. Ended up choosing the lowest pixel size in order to get it to "take"....any idea why the re-size would say one thing, then the "info" link on the pic would indicate a much larger size?
Maybe a question for the Apple store when I go to do another "one-on-one" session with them!
Thanks!
Tim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration