Stewart spedometer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Stewart spedometer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 03:21 pm:

I picked up this stewart spedometer to put on my 15/16 Model T. I can't find the letter indicating what year it was made in, is there any other way to determine what year range it is correct for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 06:15 pm:

Danial

If you look very closely just below the "miles per hour" you may find the number your looking for. In the picture below it is "K11"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 06:19 pm:

I really had to squint to see the "K11" on Bud's pic, so I circled it so folks know where to look: :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

Daniel,

And the "K-11" is for K = 1918, 11 = November in the good example shown. The letters give the year of production and the number following indicates the month.

Stewart began with B for 1910 and did not use the letters "I" or "O" but went to Z = 1932 and began again with A for 1933 through G for 1939. You can get the year from the face of the speedometer.

Here are a couple of Stewart 100's just a little earlier where the letter is followed by a serial number and a -13 or -14 for the year as well.

The one on the left is E499640-13 (1913 manufacture) and the other is F894861-14 for 1914.

Russ Furstnow has a great book on speedometers available from the vendors.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 02:24 am:

The letter on mine most be incomplete because all I can see is I-12 it could possibly be a j or an L?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 09:33 am:

Daniel, The speedometer in your photo was used on a Stewart dashboard or a "Drop-Down" bracket that hung from the cowl. The speedometer was identified as a Model 150, which was identical to an earlier Model 102. This speedometer was being phased out and replaced with the Model 131/160, and 1919 was its last year of production.

The information describing the date code is correct, and I'm guessing that your speedometer with the letter that you cannot read is an "L", not an "I" or a "J", because Stewart did not include the month of production in 1917.

I hope this helps,
Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:56 am:

That is helpful! Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil C Bartlett, Shively CA on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:20 pm:

Russ, I have a Stewart and Clark model 26 with a number of D229141. Would this be correct for a model t?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 12:15 am:

I have a Stewart speedo, but is laid out reverse from these shown above.

Looks similar, but the speed is indicated high, with the total and trip mileages down low.

I see no code stamped in the face, but on the back is a partial stamp that looks like 12-1249 (the "12" is weak and possibly something else ???) There is a white ink stamp that reads "131-BG". The face is round and nickel plated, but there is a nickel plated face behind it with a side tab that holds the knurled adjusting knob.

I'd post a pic, but am having problems with my photo program at the moment.

Any ideas what I've got here ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 12:36 am:

Neil,
Your speedometer would be standard equipment on a 1912 Model T.

Burger,
From your description, you have a Model 131/160. This speedometer was introduced in 1917 and was used through 1927. The early speedometers had plastic odometer dials, making this speedometer desirable. In 1922, Stewart opted for cheaper pot metal odometer dials which swell, making the speedometer unrestorable.
I hope this helps,
Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil C Bartlett, Shively CA on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 12:45 am:

Thanks Russ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 02:53 am:

Thanks Russ.

Is there an obvious difference in the odo dials without taking the unit apart ?

Was this unit mounted through the dash, or on a drop-down ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 07:30 am:

Is there a source for the inner cable that runs inside the casing from the speedometer to the transmission? I have an after market addition that was in my '22 Coupe. The cable is about 24" long and runs from the dash down to a gear that was originally braised on the top of the transmission. I have the original interior cable but it was broken in the middle. Will a bicycle speedometer cable work?

Photo taken prior to restoring the car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 09:16 am:

Burger,
The easiest way to tell if the speedometer has plastic odometer dials is that if the numerals appear to be engraved into the dial, the dial is plastic. If the numeral appears to be painted onto the dial, and there are small cracks in the dial, the dial is pot metal.

Dennis,
I always use the original chain-link for the inner cable. I have these links available.
I hope this helps,
Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 11:11 am:

Dennis,

All the T part sellers have speedometer cable parts available. It is a fairly laborious task to assemble a cable properly - see here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/412180.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

Dennis,

Could you show a photo of the transmission cover?

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

Royce,
I remember that post and it is a very good one thanks for sharing it again. What I need is the spring center cable I have all the other parts.

Ken,
I will post a photo in a day or so I need to reload my camera file into my computer because I lost all that information when it crashed a while back.

If I remember correctly it had Nash Manufacturing stamped on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 01:03 pm:

Again, thanks Russ. Looks like mine is pot metal.

Was this type cut through the dash, or mounted below ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 12:27 am:

Burger,
The speedometer could be mounted either way. One mounting bracket places the lower quarter of the dial face below the dash.
Russ Furstnow

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration