What's the value of a 16 engine in rough shape?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What's the value of a 16 engine in rough shape?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

I found what I'm pretty sure is a 1916 engine with an aluminum hogs head and a narrow nose pan. It doesn't have a serial number at all, but the cast date has a 16 at the end. The hogs head is busted in several places and has bent up pedals, the pan has the "tabs" broken off, but the block seems good from the outside. It appears to be a 16 replacement block, since it has no serial number. I took sand paper and there is no evidence of any number ever being stamped there, or one ever being ground off. The guy didn't know what to ask for it, and I didn't know what to offer. I have a 1920 starter block in my brass 16 model t that I am peicing together, and would like to pick this up so that I can have a correct motor in case I ever want to be totally correct. What would a fair price be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

It's a "pig in a poke" and with the external damage, I wouldn't think the internals would be in any unusually good condition. Mind you, I'm cheap, but I'd put it in the $50 to $100 range. You can save the pan, but it will take work, likely there are better pan candidates out there--but having a correct block is a good thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 04:10 pm:

A block of that age is worth between $150 o $250 and an early tapered nose pan $100 to $200 from prices at Chickasha.
As the hogs head and pedals seem poor, the engine as parts would sell for between $250 to $450. Start at the lower end!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

Ok thank you all, that's what I wanted to know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

Daniel, Hmm, judging by Tony's post, I'm low--but I told you I'm Cheap! Watch my ! Don't know if Tony allowed for the broken & missing pan arms though.
Also, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION, some regions have lower prices than other areas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

For what it is worth, I recently bought a narrow-nose pan at a swap meet (seen by at least a hundred people before me!) for $15 because it needed similar repair work.
If the majority of the engine/short-block is in good condition, it is likely worth around a couple hundred dollars.
The hogshead might be worth a few dollars for parts. The ribbed and lettered pedals (in decent shape and straight) are worth about fifteen to fifty dollars apiece depending upon condition.
Mostly it sounds like a good one to build up from. I would be interested in it if it were close to me and a good price.
And like David D says, close to home makes a big difference!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 02:21 am:

Thanks! I'll post a picture if I can close a deal on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:07 am:

I recently purchased a late 16 engine complete except for fan for $225. took it apart the other day and found everything in pretty good shape except # 1 and 2 pistons are stuck. good pan, hogshead and crank looks good no scores on trans drums and has quick change band with new looking lining. exhaust manifold is even straight. does have a high head though. Just an example of what they can be bought for

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 01:02 pm:

Daniel, I was in my early 50's when I put mine together. The good frame was a 15-16 and I had two engines one a 27 and the other a 16. I thought I would never get old. I picked the 16 to rebuild, when in fact I should have picked the 27 and just used block off plates on the starter and generator. I am 65 and find it hard to start, thus I do not use it as much as I wished I could. When you are old a starter is quite a luxury. If your 16 block has a low head it is worth considerably more. Low heads are hard to find

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

It has a low head on it. I have a boiled out and milled head, as well as a beautiful 15 aluminum hogs head for it. My plan is to put my nice hogs head and low head on my 1920 block that's in my car so that I could swap stuff around and add a starter whenever I want. I want the 16 engine so that I can make my care correct if ever I want to.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration