Interesting 1908 Automobile Book - No Mention of Ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Interesting 1908 Automobile Book - No Mention of Ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

I picked up this interesting 600 page book on T-bay, which summarizes the state of the art as of 1908 in motor vehicle design - internal combustion (both four and two-cycle), electric, and steam powered.

The odd thing about it is that it make absolutely no mention of Henry Ford or Ford cars or their features, none at all! It freely mentions other manufacturers, such as Apperson, White, Daimler, Franklin, Knox, and others.

Any idea why this might be so? Perhaps because of the ongoing litigation regarding the Selden patent and the refusal of the Association of Licensed Automobile Manufacturers (ALAM) to recognize Ford as a legitimate manufacturer?

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

I wonder what the intials A.M. at the end of the writers name mean? HMMMMM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 06:58 pm:

I think it's his degree, as follows:

A.M., equivalent to the Master of Arts (M.A.), is Latin for “artium magister”

There is no "about the author" page in the book, and a quick Google search on his name didn't reveal much. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

yes, very possible that the Selden patent law suit was the reason. The the courts litigated the issue 1903 to 1911. The Association of Licensed Automobile Manufacturers had control over the manufactures of automobiles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

You have to understand that the first copyright on the book was 1902 so much of the information and illustrations in it dates to 1902 and earlier. It is a not a rare book and it was revised many times. I have the 1911 edition which lists the following copyrights: 1902, 1904, 1906 and 1909.

You should be able to find the copyrights in your book - they are most likely on the page after the the title page that you posted above. That is where they are listed in my book.

In the 1911 edition, the Model T Ford ignition system discussed in the description of an illustration of the transmission. There is another illustration of the Ford double opposed cylinder engine with a short discussion related to the lubrication system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

It appears the author was a Harvard grad (1889), and in addition to writing books, an automotive article writer for Colliers.

I could find no relationship with the A.L.A.M, and in one article he does mention Ford in a November 1907 article (Motor Magazine) about lower priced vehicles:

Maybe authors and publishers steered clear of mentioning un licensed car makers as a rule to simply avoid the chance of being pulled into the court battle, or other retribution?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 08:03 pm:

Erik,
Good points. Also, the book is available online through Kindle and Google e-books (free) if anyone is interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

It's also a free download in various formats on archive.org here:

https://archive.org/details/selfpropelledve06homagoog

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration