14 windsheild on a 13

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 14 windsheild on a 13
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 08:13 am:

Here's the dill pickle, the upper windshield half folds to the rear on the windshield I have in the automobile. That would be fine with me, I getting old and not that much of a purest, except for the fact that the windshield hits the steering wheel and will not go all the way down without pulling on the wheel, bending the column. My question is, can I take the upper half on the windshield with hinges attached, and turn it 180* and make it fold forward? The upper half of the windshield has the drip rail at the bottom so I don't think it will go forward no matter what hinge I use, without turning the drip rail to the rear. Anybody got a better idea? Will 13 hinges, if I could find some, bolt to the 14 frames? Thanks from Atlanta TX, and Gods Speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 08:18 am:

I would think it would work. Give it a try. Mine's the same way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 08:34 am:

The support rods on the '14 windshield are slotted on the end that attaches to the body. You should be able to adjust them so that the windshield doesn't hit the wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 09:28 am:

Bob, as far as I know, the 14 top screen has a deflector along the bottom edge. I think this will preclude being able to fold it forward.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:19 am:

Bob,

You have your answer from Eric above. You didn't say the name of the manufacturer but if it's a Rands.....

I have a Rands on my car and it folds "'14". There is only "one" hinge and they are both the same. Outside arm up on one side and down on the other. Otherwise the ends of the windshield will work against itself.

Where the holes are drilled in the windshield halves determines which way it folds unless someone can show the difference. I would like to see a 1913 Rands hinge if someone has one mounted that way or knows the hinge is a 1913 Rands.

The arms could be longer or shorter but I don't have anything to go by and seems close to the discussion.

There are several other makers but my question is about the Rands hinge.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:08 am:

One '13, or maybe it's a '14, type windshield is different in that both halves are the same "height." This was to go with a different kind of top that had a different front socket and bow. By chance is your windshield like that? Both halves the same? You may have a '14 bottom half and the odd '13 top half.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration