Accessory Starters

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Accessory Starters
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:15 am:

Is anyone using an accessory starter on a "non-starter" Model T? I have seen ads for either the starter or literature about the starter for the following:
John O. Heinz (one is currently for sale here on the Classifieds by someone else)
Dayton Electric (I have seen one NOS but it had not yet been installed on a T)
Gray & Davis (literature for sale on Ebay)
Stewart (literature for sale on Ebay)
Westinghouse (literature for sale on Ebay)
and one with no name

I am trying to identify who made this one and whether anyone else is using one of these.

My Starter 1
My Starter 9

My Starter 12

The crank handle can be used to start the Model T manually or can be removed to use the electric starter. For this one, the starter motor mount between the pan and frame where the generator would be on later T's.
Any information about these starters (and particularly about the one shown) would be appreciated.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:58 am:

Here's a past thread.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/514953.html?1422892398

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 11:20 pm:

I am still looking for information on this accessory starter. Does anyone else have one of these?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 10:47 am:

Dennis

Checked ref. I have and can't find that style. Appears there is cast in letters on the face of the housing, what does it read?

This one is somewhat similar, but most of these electric starters also included a generator to recharge the storage battery needed to run the starter motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 11:20 am:

Dan, This shows the wording you questioned. "Patented Sept 15, 1915, Others Pending"Starter #2

I tried to find information by this date but did not find anything. Where is a good place to search patents issued on a given date?

Thanks,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

Dennis

Did a bit more looking and still think you have a version of the A-B-C. That's the only one with such a mount under the radiator. Early version was 1916, in 1917 the ads show the generator piece driven by fan belt instead of shaft in the earlier version. The ads said the A-B-C was designed by Alexander Churchward, but the PTO doesn't search by inventors for such old patents. Really need a patent number for search.

A-B-C with fan belt driven generator mounted up high on the left side of engine.

1917 version with fan belt drive generator

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration