Going to look at a T tomorrow to buy

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Going to look at a T tomorrow to buy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard lee on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:13 am:

A 1927 pickup, older restoration, that was pulled from a local barn like20 years ago from the original owners family. Seller claims he drained the gas tank 8 years ago and all the lines after his Dad died. Asking 8K I am pumped about it but the only thing I don't like is it's not a soft top.

Anyway what do I want to look for besides the engine being stuck and rust?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:14 am:

A clear title in the owner's name? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:19 am:

What do you mean "not a soft top"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:20 am:

There were no "hard top" Model T pickups made - possibly an early A. Any photos to assist in identifying ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:43 am:

Could it be a TT with a closed cab and the Express (pickup style) bed?

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard lee on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 12:04 pm:

Yes, it has a clear title. He said it has a hard top, meaning not a roadster. Said it was not a TT but a regular T with a truck bed like a pickup. not a wide bed like a TT. i'll take pictures tomorrow and post them as I am kinda concerned now just what it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard lee on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 12:07 pm:

I take it that all T pickups with were roadsters? Not including the TT's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

A "C" cab maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

Could be a coupe with a homemade bed. May be easy to remedy. But where it rains and blows a lot; you can not fault an enclosed car. If it is a TT, just remember, it does about 20 to 25 in high gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 02:12 pm:

A TT is going to have a top load worm gear rear end - a dead giveaway
for the novice to spot. A normal T has it's input shaft going straight into
the front of the pumpkin like most rear wheel drive vehicles.

If it is a TT, and it has a steel pickup box (assuming it is period correct),
then it is likely an express box. This would make it a pretty desirable
vehicle with the truck crowd.

Another giveaway will be the fenders and cowl. TT's retained the earlier
fenders and cowl, while the T's got the updated rounded fenders and
straight-back cowl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard lee on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 04:06 pm:

In 1927 did they make regular size beds and frame model T's with C cabs? He said something about the cab being wood and it not being a TT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

Just get lots of pictures from all angles showing everything, and you'll get lots of info about it here. Verbal descriptions aren't worth a water retaining structure. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

If it has a wood cab, it's an aftermarket body on a T chassis. Like this, but with a later chassis:

cab

It was commonplace for folks to order a bare chassis from their Ford dealer, then put an aftermarket body and bed on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard lee on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 06:09 pm:

Mike I bet that is what he has. He said it had electric lights and carbide lights and the body is wood. Still it would make a nice play toy if I can fit in it OK. Still I might not be satisfied until I get a roadster which was my dream in the first place….

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 06:15 pm:

Ford did sale just the chassis so the buyer could build a body to his own spec . Depot hack , delivery , pickup . If your body is one of these and original that's a good thing . If built recently value will depend on how good a job it is . That's just the beginning there is a lot more to consider . It would be best if you could find a Model T club around you I am sure someone would be glad to look it over with you .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

Just to balance the comments:

1. I'm pretty sure a T and a TT are the same width. It's the length that's different, and of course the rear end.

2. There were a lot of TT's sold as running chassis too. In fact that's the only way they came for the first several years. The fact that it has a wooden aftermarket cab tells you nothing about whether it's a T or TT.

Steve is 100% right. Verbal descriptions aren't worth the paper they're written on. Get lots of pictures, in particular the underside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

I made a short you tube video on some items to look for. Take an engine compression tester and a 6 or 12 volt battery At a minimum check compression do the coils fire shake the wheels for loose steering and bad wheels, pull the transmission inspection cover to see if drums are Ok cracked or damaged, check the steering wheel for play is the wood rotten, etc etc everything you do not check can cost money down the road so take that in mind when you set a buying price

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

Richard -- I know what you mean about really wanting a Roadster. I did a frame-up restoration on the green Delivery truck above, drove it on a few tours and didn't like it. I removed the wooden body from the "new" chassis and installed a Roadster body instead. First I put a turtle on it, then replaced that with a pickup bed. Now I like it a lot. I guess I'm just a "top-down" kinda guy. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

Richard, good luck tomorrow,...I still remember the excitement of going to look at my T...:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

I would suggest that you don't just jump on it. Take some photos and post them here or on photobucket. There are some good eyes here that will help with id'ing it for sure. Remember restored means a lot of different things and there are a lot of old cars that had a first class job done on the body but the running gear was only cleaned or very minimal work done so it could be driven once or twice a year. The running gear can get to be an expensive gamble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:46 pm:

Mark's right. First T first look. Don't jump at it. Get back here as suggested with pictures. Get a bottom line price as 8 G's could very well be high for a non running car. I don't care what he told you the bottom line is it doesn't run and when you hand over the $ it's your problem. And don't be pushed by the "another guy's looking" line. As a newbie the last thing you need is a bidding war for something you know little about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:52 pm:

Mark has nailed it. I've been down that road. Nice body, mechanical stuff marginal or worse. Another thing to check: with the rear wheels off the ground, push in/pull out. A lack of play doesn't rule out trouble, but movement says a rear axle rebuild is in order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 10:44 am:

Richard
If the vehicle is using original ignition coils check to see if the car will run when the key switch is set to the magneto position.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard lee on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

Looked at the T today. Mike Walker was right, and I suspected he was right when I was on my way there.

The engine turned over with compression but I was unable to put a gauge on it as none were available.
The front end seemed nice and tight. The steering was tight too.

The rear end was a small one, not a TT style.
Everything looked to be in nice shape
The fenders were nice and heavy so I assume they hadn't been heavily rusted before being repainted.I couldn't check the rear axle as the tires were on rollers.
It had 2 extra wheels and tires and an extra carb. Also has the jacking stuff and the tire assembly tools.
The pedals had rubber covers on them and I was unable to get my shoes between them. I guess I would have to drive it baefoot or take the covers off.
And the steering wheel was tight against my stomach.

My pictures were apparently too large for this website so I'll try to get them on photo works and put the address on here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard lee on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/dingesslee/media/model%20T/DSCN3140_zpsxjl3o3d n.jpg.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard lee on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 07:50 pm:

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y503/dingesslee/model%20T/DSCN3148_zpsyy4ucz om.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

Wow, at first I thought that was Mikes old body on there. Very similar.

So did you buy it? It doesn't look bad at all, and like Mike says, if the bones are good you can switch bodies later on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard lee on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y503/dingesslee/model%20T/DSCN3140_zpsxjl3o3 dn.jpg
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y503/dingesslee/model%20T/DSCN3150_zpsmtkpid jq.jpghttp://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y503/dingesslee/model%20T/DSCN3145_zps lspsjvby.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard lee on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

Chad…No, I didn't buy it. I probably could get it for 7K. Still it's just not what I want. I didn't even make an offer to be honest. Still tossing it around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

That's terrific ! :-)

Steering wheel against the stomach ? Is this a tight cab issue or an "excessive" stomach issue ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

In my opinion, this is the neatest T truck style there is. But I am a bit on the rotund side, and they are just too tight a fit for me. If I could have a super-cab version, it would be perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

That was one of the problems with the one I had, the steering-wheel-in-the-belly syndrome. People were a lot smaller when those truck bodies were made. I still think they're neat looking, but I like driving my "ordinary" Roadster Pickup a lot better. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 08:22 pm:

Burger - be careful!
It is a well known fact that T's shrink as they get older.
In the 50's I could easily fit behind the wheel of my dad's 19 hack but in the 2011 there was not enough room behind the steering wheel for me so I had to move the seat back.

That's my story and I am sticking to it :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

Fred,

Methinks thou might hath partaken a few extra slices of pie over the years ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard lee on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

Yeah, I was too big for it. Not just my belly buy my feet were too big for the pedals and my legs were too long. I really couldn't get to that parking brake as my knees were in the way and my feet were too big to maneuver them to the pedals correctly. I don't think I could have driven the thing safely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

Richard, there are plenty of T's out there to be had, so don't be disappointed that this one didn't quite fit your needs, and or body type. Once you buy a T you are more than likely to have it for a very long time, and feeling comfortable in it should be your #1 priority. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 11:11 pm:

My feet also got bigger but other things got smaller - such as the amount of hair on my head. :-)
Warren - don't say a word!

The first time I drove the T in 2011 my foot hit the key and it stopped running in the middle of a busy intersection in Exeter NH
It doesn't have a starter so I had to exit the vehicle and crank it.
People was laughing at me except for a 20 something lady that made a rude gesture. (I use the word lady loosely!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 11:23 pm:

Interesting things, those single digit rude gestures. Over the years I can recall being the recipient of such a gesture three times while driving. Every time it has been made by a female.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 11:57 pm:

I think the Improved Model pedals are quite nice!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration