Oil spots on floor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Oil spots on floor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred L. Olenberger on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

Have had a major oil leak that I could live with in my shop but the oil on the driveway is not acceptable to my Boss...
Used the commercial gravel and broom trick but still have stains that remain. Have heard a number of different tricks but none of them were from Car guys. Let the debate begin....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

If you have a concrete driveway, Gunk engine degreaser will work. Don't use it on pavement as it will eat the oil and tar causing damage to the driveway. In fact, if it is a paved driveway, any chemical that will remove the oil will damage the driveway. Cat litter is pretty absorbent and may get most of the free oil if on pavement, but will never get all of it. Maybe you need that engine diaper that was discussed some time ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 05:12 pm:

Hmm, model T's are known to mark their territory!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 05:16 pm:

On concrete - Try a piece of rag and pour clean petrol over the spot and rub it off...or better still give it to "The Boss" and tell her to do it lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

Portland cement. Sprinkle it over the oil stain, brush it in a bit and let it set. It will absorb the oil. You may need to do it a few times to get it all out but it has worked for me on concrete and it is cheap. I am still using the first bag of cement that I bought 10 years ago for $3.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 06:12 pm:

This is the way our old time mechanic did it in the equipment shop and his work area was always clean of oil stains. Put some mineral spirits (sometimes he used gasoline or kerosene. Whatever solvent was around at the time) on the oil stain and let it sit for awhile until it sinks into the oil stain. Keep it wet. Don't let it evaporate. When it has stayed on long enough to sink into the oil stain and turn a color other than clear, put on one more coat, then pour on a layer of the old fashioned, non clumping clay kitty litter about an 1/2 inch thick and let it sit overnight. The next morning, take an old red clay fired brick and scrub the kitty litter over the stain, until it breaks up into a powder, then sweep it up. If there is still some oil stain left, pour on more mineral spirits, but re-use the powdered kitty litter you just swept up, to absorb the mineral spirits. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

I use the kitty litter also but I grind it in with my feet till it is a powder and the stain is gone. I have done this for years even when I had the concrete finishing business (did this for 30 years).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Haynes - Chadron, Nebraska on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 06:39 pm:

Pour solvent on the oil stain, just enough to cover the area of the oil. Put kitty litter or oil dry on the solvent. Let the solvent evaporate and when it has, just sweep up the kitty litter and the oil stain is gone. Works on concrete, not recommended for asphalt driveways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

A quality dish detergent will remove grease and oil as well as Tide laundry detergent. It most likely will be a rinse and repeat operation.

As mentioned above solvents on pavement will do damage and if in an enclosed area can be dangerous because of the fumes with a possibility of explosion if there is an ignition source.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 08:00 pm:

I'm with Jim Rogers. Sprinkle some kitty litter on it and grind it in with you shoe.

If the oil is more than a simple stain (as in, thick & wet), then dump the first kitty litter on and let it stand at least overnite. Dispose of the first application and sprinkle some fresh stuff down. Grind that application down to powder with your shoe and let it sit overnite. Sweep up the powder and the stain area will most likely be a lighter shade than the surrounding concrete. It'll all blend in within days.

Been doing it this way for about 20 years.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 08:09 am:

I would think there is an investor out there that is interested in funding similar accessory for the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 11:13 am:

I, recently, used kitty litter to clean a driveway stain. Put it down; then walk on it, mashing it and rubbing it in as you do the 'twist' on it. I have, also, heard of using Tide powdered laundry detergent and in my old service station days, even sulfuric acid on oil stains, but don't do the 'twist' on it. Also, sulfuric acid will left the concrete 'whiter' than the rest of the concrete unless it is new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

George, Some one last year, I believe, posted a "diaper" he had made. Maybe some one here can locate the post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 06:59 pm:

A Google search for "diaper mtfca" turned up this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/446175.html?1400608273

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration