1924 T Coupe starting issue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1924 T Coupe starting issue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hwdcne on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

If my T sits for a month or so, I find it real hard to start. I almost always have to use some ether and a lot of cranking to get running. Have had coils rebuild earlier by Ron. It acts like it doesn't get gas even if I have the tank fairly full. If I could find a 6 volt fuel pump would that help or what would you all suggest? At this point everything is bone stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

I don't think a fuel pump would help. First check fuel flow. Is everything clear from the sediment bowl? If you open the drain on the carb, does fuel flow? Are you sure the needle valve hasn't stuck?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

Better check the function of your choke butterfly - sounds as though you're not getting a good prime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

A fuel pump on a T is about as useful as a water pump. There's something wrong. Diagnose it and repair the problem to get the best results.

Steve's suggestion is a good one. I'd check that out and for that matter the entire fuel system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:31 pm:

You said "If my T sits for a month or so" if you leave a modern fuel in the tank for that long (Especially open systems) the alcohol in the fuel will condense the moisture in the fuel which will sink to the bottom so that when you try to prime the car you may be getting a big gulp of moisture that wont burn till you get it all out. A tip... when you know your car will sit turn the fuel off and allow the carburetor to run dry.Then when you go to start the car open the drain on the sediment bulb and let a little out into a coffee can or some suitable container. If moisture is the culprit this will help! Sorry for the long response:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 01:43 am:

If you let it for a month between runs shut the gas off and run the carb empty if you aren't going to run it for a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Hallett on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 08:46 am:

Next time your T sits for a month or so pull the plug and give it a couple of Squirts of oil in each cylinder before trying to start your T. Mine acted just like your after sitting all winter. I checked the fuel flow to the carburetor, taped on the carburetor bowl, no amount of choking help. I pulled the plugs and found them dry as can be, it wasn't sucking any gas up to the cylinders. I dribbled a little gas into the cylinders and it fired and stalled, hit the starter and the same thing fire and die. After about 6 attempts it ran like it should. My thoughts are dry cylinders are the cause.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hwdcne on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 09:10 am:

Thanks for responses! I will try some of the suggestions.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration