Best place to send some 30 x 3-1/2 wire wheels for rebuild

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Best place to send some 30 x 3-1/2 wire wheels for rebuild
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

I need to get some Phelps 30 x 3-1/2 (23" clincher rim) 50 spoke wire spoke wheels rebuilt. I own 9 wheels (and a set of hubs). I need to get 1-5 (depending on what it is going to cost) wheels re-rimmed and re-spoked. I am getting closer to needing these. A couple of years ago I made new hubcaps for them.
Four of the wheels I could reasonably use (replace a few spokes and true them).
I would appreciate your advice and the benefit of your experience.
Thx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

Dayton Wire Wheel handles this sort of work:

http://www.daytonwirewheel.com/wheelrestoration.php

I would suggest that you take care of the painting yourself. They did a wonderful job respoking a friends LaSalle wheels and the paint job was beautiful, but it would chip if you breathed on it a little too hard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

Les - I also had DWW do the minimum basic rebuild my Simplex wire wheels (no painting or finishing). I had them do one done at a time (5 total) and it took them roughly two months per wheel. I gave them each wheel straight out of the barn, rusty and rough. They replaced all spokes and nipples, and trued them up in the vertical plane (perpendicular to the through-hub centerline) and for radial roundness (radiating from the center point of the hub outward). The only cleaning they did on the wheels was what was necessary to complete the stated work. They do not sandblast or strip old paint, etc. If you have them paint/finish the wheels, they sent them out to be blasted; they don't do it in-house. Cost me $250 per wheel. I'm very happy with the result. Very little run-out on the wheels after the rebuild.

Sample prior to the rebuild.

And after the rebuild. Note the new spokes.

And after painting with Rustoluem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

I'm guessing that you just had them re-spoked. I could use some new rims. 30 x 3-1/2 new rims of course can be bought. Drilling and dimpling is the other challenge
Thoughts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:30 pm:

Les,
Iam sure you are capable of dimpling and drilling you own rims, given the excellent work you do on other projects. I make Hayes wire wheel felloes from ordinary wood wheel felloes. BE rims will be easier, given they are thinner and access to the base is easier.

I made a tool for dimpling.

This buck is used with a rounded punch to produce the dimples. First, the spacing is marked with a centre punch in the well of the rim. Then the rim isput over the buck with the dimplr spot offset to the side. That spot is heated cherry red with an oxy torch, the spot positioned over the buck and the punch struck with a heavy hammer. Practice will help.

This is my wheel true. I use T axles/stubs to mount the Hayes hubs.axle

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.tool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

Alan
Yes I can, but I was hoping to not have to do it myself. I do what I can better than I can job out and especially if I find it interesting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 10:59 pm:

David Moore Wheel Service in Apple Valley, CA is the place to go for repairing wire wheels. I have several friends that have had him do work on their wire wheels. They are very happy with his work. I am told he does excellent work, reasonable and quick turnaround. His phone no. is 760-240-3543.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration