OT - Sell or trade for Franklin or Ford, 3 ton clock

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Sell or trade for Franklin or Ford, 3 ton clock
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

I can't imagine there was a big market for a used 3 ton clock:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Myers_____Pittsburgh, PA on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

It's a small world when someone from Nebraska finds an ad in a Pittsburgh paper from someone in Sandy Lake. I grew up about 15 miles west of Sandy Lake, which is roughly 75 miles north of Pittsburgh. I did some research and the ad was posted by a Dr. F.F. Feather, who died in 1912.

It is possible that Sandy Lake used to be a more "prominent" town, especially during the oil boom caused by Drake's Well, but there is not much there now except for a gas station and an auto parts store.

About 15 years ago I tried to carry a model T engine from an abandoned oil pump station near Sandy Lake, (I'm guessing it was a pump station...) to the road, but lost interest after about a mile and left it in the woods. Came back the next day and took the head off and realized it was most likely junk.

A bit non-sequitur, but always interesting to read about things close to home. MM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

Rob,

Actually, today people collect tower clocks and Howards are very sought after. A guy near Chicago has quite a few, restored to perfection. I passed up a fairly small one, (would have fit on your mantle), priced at $2000. Not sure what the market for these was in 1908 however but they couldn't have been cheap then either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

Mark,
I found it interesting (and supportive of my Model K theories) that the clock was offered for sale, and the two cars mentioned as "trade" material were six cylinder Franklin and Ford. Evidently, the two Doctors had an affinity for those two makes and models, from the hundreds (255 makes of automobiles were marketed in the U.S. in 1907).

It's an interesting coincidence that you are from the area. I tried to do a little more checking, and did find that F. F. Feather was involved about the same time trying to bring a hotel to town, as the only two in town had recently burned.

I wasn't able to find any reference as to the type of cars the two Doctors drove, or other information. Thank you for providing the info you did about them.

I suspect at one ton, with a shipping weight of three ton, this clock may have resembled the clock below, more than a mantle clock. Again, it seems unusual that someone might have one of the two cars mentioned as trade for a clock that probably would be placed in a court house or other public building. This E. Howard clock was placed in 1912:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 07:33 am:

Now, to find the newspaper article about the town whose clock went missing form their courthouse.:-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration