OT - Model K Update 04/25/2015

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - Model K Update 04/25/2015
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 04:58 am:

On my way to Dean's to work on the K. Another early Ford friend is coming down from Minneapolis and we will begin to put the engine together. 4 a.m. and only 300 miles to go....

Pics to follow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 07:13 am:

OK it's now 7:12 am put the doughnut down and up load the pictures...you've had 3 hours to take them and get them on the forum. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 08:27 am:

Denny, we're on central time. About 70 miles to go. The donut idea was a good one......
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 08:37 am:

Well get enough doughnuts for everyone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 11:22 am:

This is what it looks like now:

K-823 and a cam follower:

A little differential work to do. Maybe they will "run" in:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

Thanks for the update, Rob. I'm sure this will be a most beautiful K when done.

I'm looking forward to seeing it done and hearing it run. It will be a good one, I'm sure! :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

What is the length and weight of that engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 12:56 pm:

Too bad about the cylinders. Maybe someone can weld them back together.

:0)

Seriously, it is such a treat to see these early parts.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 01:53 pm:

Was that gear explosion in the differential a recent event?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 03:50 pm:

Enjoy the journey!
Then enjoy the car!
Thanks for the updates. This car is a special treat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 04:08 pm:

I trust that you are regularly consulting with local and Federal environmental
authorities to ensure the K is properly updated to meet all emissions control
and fuel consumption regulations, right ??? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 04:26 pm:

The Minneapolis friend, is it Floyd J? He does great work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 05:07 pm:

Keith and Richard, thanks.
Denny, I'm not sure on weight. The cylinders are 4 x 4.25, 405 cu. inches.
Ed, sometime before 1964 is my guess. This car has been in museums since then.
Burger, it's grandfathered in..... :-)
Darel, Bruce V. S.

A few more pics.

Bruce and Dean putting in valves:

Engine (crankcase), transmission frame and flywheel numbers all match. My guess is about an August or September 1907 car. We know who every owner was except between 1914 and 1920.

Dean, his son Ben and Bruce are working away, so I better get back and help.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 05:09 pm:

I forgot to rotate the flywheel pic. It reads "K 823"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 09:44 am:

Pics didn't post, I'll try again.......

(Message edited by Rob on April 26, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 09:59 am:

Back at it this morning.

Dean has his farm pickup out:

Old rod babbitt. Hard to see, but two anchors on each side of the bearing:

Oil hole in the rod:

Building p the pedestal the water-pump mounts to:

Mounting the original Holley magneto. The Holley magneto was designed by Ed Huff, patent rights to Henry Ford, and was the first Capacitive Discharge Ignition (CDI) system used on a production auto (Model K):

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

Never seen lifter guides like that. Interesting.
Did the car have two magnetos or is the one present a retrofit?
Since the rod pin is out of the rod in the photo, I assume the restoration would be to ream a larger hole and fit a tiny bit larger pin, correct?
Looks like fun engine to work on. That is, if it weren't so darn heavy! ;^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

Richard,
This is the original Holley Bros. (Ed "Spider" Huff design) magneto used on all Model K. There were three versions, with the biggest change occurring between the 1906 and 1907 designs. The mag was originally used on the Ford six-cylinder racer in 1905, and is still in place on the 1907-1908 six cylinder racer at The Henry Ford museum (not on display).

Frank Kulick behind the wheel of the six cylinder racer. The same magneto is mounted vertically to his front:

The mag on our K. The Holly mag was also used on Glide cars, and was an advertised Thomas option on their 40 horsepower flyer:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

I forgot to add, yes, the hinge pins are removed and an oversize will be added. Bruce and Dean thought this best because there was a little wear showing on the hinge pins.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration