OT Australia stops today to honour it's fallen

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Australia stops today to honour it's fallen
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 05:46 am:

OT--Australian's around the world today stopped to pay homage to the so many young Australian's that lost their lives in a British Empire conflict so far away 100 years ago.
To many it is when Australia came of age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlVoIVZa5VQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 06:04 am:

In NZ it was similar Bob except we honour the New Zealanders and the Australians who died together. After all thats what ANZAC means.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Partington on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 06:34 am:

BOB,ALWAYS CHECK YOUR SPEECHES WITH ME BEFORE YOU FAUX PAS AGAIN, REMEMBER I AM FROM NORTH OF THE BORDER & KNOW BETTER. OUR KIWI COUSINS ARE SENSITIVE PEOPLE & YOU MAY CAUSE AN INTERNATIONAL INCIDENT, IT'S JUST NOT CRICKET OR RUGBY.SIGNED YOUR MOST DIPLOMATIC SERVANT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

A lot of significant anniversaries are coming up in the next three years, Bob. Canada's "coming of age" took place two years later at the battle of Vimy Ridge (where my grandmother's younger brother was killed).

A friend posted this link on Facebook today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGlpxviu8PY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

lol Nice one Doug. There were some brilliant services held and heaps more people in attendance than normal, probably due to the 100th year.
I havent heard of the battle of Vimmy Ridge Dick so I will look it up, thanks for posting this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204132468336734&set=pcb.10155432441405 548&type=1&theater
I attended the memorial dawn service in my home town where there were record numbers attending. Following that we went for a T Tour up into the local mountain range. I managed to break a left rear wheel but it was replaced and I managed to drive home. Thanks to Frank Vanekeran for the loan of the rear wheel form his workshop spares.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

Kevin, here is a link you might find informative:

http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/exhibitions/vimy/index_e.shtml

This is my Great-Uncle Miller's grave in France. I was the first family member to visit it in 1961. I have been back several times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

Thanks Dick, very interesting reading.

My Grandfathers young brother stole my Grandfathers birth cert and joined the army because he was under age. Lured by the marketing and hype and only lasted 7 months before being killed in Belgium.
The Grave Stone marks his death in 1915 even though Grandad lived into 1980's. Attempts to get this addressed have so far failed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

During my working career the company I worked for did business, for which I was responsible, with the Australian Army Signal Corps.
I had the honor of attending early morning ANZAC services in Canberra at Russell Offices. Very impressive with Tweety Bird watching over us.
The very early morning drink at the Officers Club was a bit much!
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 05:03 pm:

Very good Kevin. I wonder if they gave recognition to the Brits-French-Indians-Canadians?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 05:54 pm:

At the Anzac service do you mean Bob? not usually as they arent part of the ANZAC (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) celebration but in general they are mentioned. The worst part is the Aussies, Kiwi's, and all other less fashionable people were often used as canon fodder by the British.
Such a waste.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 07:06 am:

Ron, the "tweety bird" you mention is also fondly called "bugs bunny on a stick" by the older Canberran's.

Anzac day was a very special day for me.
I was part of a select group of about 100 who attended a "Dawn Service" on top of Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Kirribilli RSL sub branch and "Bridgeclimb" jointly organised the event to mark the centenary of Anzac and Sandy and I were invited along to represent Moruya sub branch. (All the granite on the bridge came from my little town, which is 300 kms away).
It was a very special event for me as I wore not just my own medals, but my fathers WWII medals (worn for the 1st time anywhere) and my grandfathers from WWI. We started the climb in total darkness, but at the top, the sunrise was fittingly spectacular. It was a day in my life I shall never forget.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 07:54 am:

Sounds brilliant Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 10:47 am:

God bless all the brave souls who fought & died for their country for the cause of freedom.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration